Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

I think youā€™re mis-stating them. If I didnā€™t know you better Iā€™d say you were purposely doing so - however Iā€™m happy to assume that you are a fool and not a knave based upon your previous form on the board.

What Iā€™ve read from the likes of @gilgamboa etc is that Ireland should expect to win their group but that it is not a foregone conclusion. Scotland and to a lesser extent Samoa and Japan can be dangerous on the day but Ireland should be too strong for all. They can of course correct my interpretation of their remarks.

1 Like

Itā€™s unbelievable really ā€” How can the no.1 team not make it out of their group? The die hard rubby men are seriously scarred from years of under performing on the big stage iā€™d say. Iā€™m probably the most optimistic Irish fan on the forum at this stage.

This is the rugby World Cup mate

It would be unreal to get first or second place out of a group with Scotland, Japan, Russia and Samoa.

Russia showed today they are no mugs.

4 Likes

With respect, there are only 7 0r 8 other serious rubby nations ---- any of the worlds top 50 could get a result off each other in football ---- outside the top 8 or 10 nations in rubby, itā€™s very rareā€¦

With respect, you asked a question. I answered you.

I was talking about rubby ā€¦ i thought with the thread it was posted in that might be a give away ā€¦

I think you might be confused there with the names.

Rugby rankings started in 2003. The sample size is tiny.

Regardless ā€” rubby has such a tiny pool there isnt a hope the no.1 ranked team doesnt come out of the group stage ā€” the lads here are having a mare.

Thatā€™s what they call in the trade ā€œa clampingā€ ā€œ:clamp:ā€

5 Likes

This is the rugby world cup mate, absolutely anything could happen.

I think Japanā€™s nervy display today should give us great hope that a quarter-final is in our reach.

It might have happened before 2002 with soccer, I dunno. But that was 72 years into tournament play. Weā€™ll see when rugby gets to that length.

Fifa World rankings only started in 1992, within 10 years that happened to France. The rugby rankings have been going for 16 years and even though the current no.1s world cup record is poor iv a feeling it will be many many years before there is a serious risk of a similar failure.

Substitute New Zealand for Ireland in your post there and see how stupid it sounds

Number one team, eh

Officially the 5th largest sports event on the planet. Will likely surpass the soccer euros this time.

4 Likes

That will drive some of the usual suspects absolutely mental

5 Likes

Define largest in this context

Itā€™s behind sumo wrestling and the World Bodybuilding Championship

1 Like