Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Replacing one team that gets tonked by 30 points every time they play by another team that gets tonked by 30 points every time they play wont do much for the 6 nations

Its a bit like the decision whether you should throw Kerry in to replace Waterford in the 5 team Munster Hurling Championship.

As you were so quick to point out earlier today, this is a rugby thread. Go to another thread if you wish to discuss another sport. I will not tolerate hypocrisy.

Its a bit more democratic though. Lot of great work going on in Italy. Treviso hugely competitive in Pro14 now.

France play Tonga on Sunday. France despite ultimately making the World Cup Final in 2011 were beaten by Tonga in the pool stages.

I was out and about in the car earlier, listening to one of the radio talk shows, anyway, they had a quiz where they had a pretend vending machine (cc @Juhniallio). So they’d to pick A5 or whatever and the prize would fall out.

Twas a woman rang in and the presenter asked her what were the plans for the weekend. Watching the rubby she says. Oh are you a big rubby fan. I am she says. How do you think Ireland are doing. They didn’t play great against France she says. Did you see the Russia game. No she says.

The rubby set all out, that

2 Likes

Genuine question Dan… What’s ur honest opinion with what is going on with Ireland? Is this 2007 all over again. Conditioning wrong?

Or can you see us pulling off a big performance in the QF?

You come at the king you better not miss!

Absolute belter of a post there Dan. That will surely be the end of that

That’s a backtrack

1 Like

Absolutely nothing to be gained for me in answering this question. This is no place for a genuine answer

1 Like

I would be no more or less confident of us winning a QF than I was a month ago. Japan massively disappointing result but we will still end up in QF. 9 days before Samoa game now lot of work to be done but time to do it. The Russian game is an irrelevance

Are we capable of a once off performance and beat NZ? Yep. Would I fancy Ireland, probably not

3 Likes

Most of the success under Coach Schmidt was predicated on a Murray/Sexton partnership which was probably the best in the international game. If they don’t suddenly start firing, it’s difficult to see Ireland toppling one of the top two sides in the quarter final.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about this @ChairmanDan character but he is giving @StoneCold an awful hiding

1 Like

A bit of a shift in the goalposts from the rugby set here

7 Likes

The first do or die match Ireland will face in this tournament is in the quarter final.

In 1995, 1999 and 2003, Ireland faced do or die matches towards the end of the pool stages where defeat to their opponents would have meant elimination.

1 Like

Is the match vs Samoa not do or die?

1 Like

Ireland have played 19 games against the stronger nations, winning 5.

The rest of the wins have come against the cannon fodder

1 Like

Can’t see it. Samoa are desperately poor. I’d expect Japan to repeat the hammering they inflicted on Samoa in 2015 again tomorrow, which will have Samoa eliminated and already on the plane home when Ireland face them.

@ChairmanDan did a WIlliam Web Ellis on it and took his ball away and ran with it when the scummy soccer crowd outwitted him.

That’s the essence of rugby, second rate failures with a chip on their shoulder.

6 Likes

The rugby once every four years soccer type crowd are working themselves into an awful state here. After the Scotland win they were speculating as to who Ireland would face in the final and planning a home coming parade with the William Webb Ellis Cup and admonishing the rugby set for urging caution.

They’re so rattled now by the setback in the humidity against Japan that they’re now going crazy when the rugby set have enough confidence in Coach Schmidt and this Ireland side to suggest that the tournament in 2019 really only begins for this Ireland side in the quarter finals, unlike previous Ireland sides who had serious do or die business to attend to in the pool stages.

1 Like