Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Did you think the Scottish chap should have got a card yesterday?

No. A Glasgow Kiss is a part of Scotch culture. Itā€™d be like disrespecting the Haka had he been carded.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. I thought the fact the ref didnā€™t even award a penalty was instructive .

I actually thought the Japanese guy who led with his forearm/elbow into contact was lucky enough based upon the well-publicised incident in the Wales/Aus game

Why not?

The no1 team in the world going into the tournament playing the defending champions. This is as good as a final. In spite of all the negativity coming from the rubby set (youā€™d wonder do @gilgamboa and @ChairmanDan even want Ireland to win) I think the Vodafone team of us are PRIMED to beat the All Blacks (again) in this important TEST MATCH

#everybodyin

3 Likes

All laid out fairly clearly here - https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines - but the number one reason is that it was head on head in the act of making a tackle as opposed to a high tackle (i.e. arm or shoulder to head)

I give us a great chance. This is an untested NZ team and they look a bit light in the forwards to me. If we can keep it contained to the forwards we could wear them down. Ireland by 20-17.

Why didnā€™t they send over a proper lawyer like Joe Brolly?

Donā€™t think he did lead with it. The tackler came in and made contact with carrierā€™s shoulder first and then the carrierā€™s arm raised. Perfectly legal. The Aussie lifted his forearm/elbow into the tackler before contact which is illegal.

Hasnā€™t Japan suffered enough in recent days?

Iā€™m fully behind the team and have every confidence in Coach Schmidt and the players. All myself and @gilgamboa have cautioned against is some of the silly talk, planning homecoming victory celebrations with the Cup and the like. Itā€™s understandable I suppose for the rugby once every four years soccer crew to get so excited and lose the run of themselves after getting so invested in one of the few sports where Ireland has a realistic shot at winning a World Cup.

3 Likes

Healy Best Furlong Ryan Beirne POM JVDF Stander Murray Sexton Earlā€™s Henshaw Ringrose Conway Kearney Cronin Killer Porter Henderson Ruddock Carbary Farrell Lamour

Killer and Porter unlucky not to be starting, outside WC they would be in with a fair shout. Beirne brings more variety than Henderson, lineout has been very slow on the ground and Henderson POM and CJ bring the same ball carrying to attack makes the irish game plan very readable. Conway to start ahead of Larmour and Stockdale. Solid defensively and under high ball and proven finisher.

1 Like

Thatā€™s very helpful thanks. Whatā€™s an ā€œoenceā€ by the way.

I had highlighted earlier the folly of going in without Counsel. Solicitors are really only paper pushers. I had suggested a team of Jim Oā€™Callaghan S.C. and Tim Oā€™Connor B.L. As itā€™s an all island/non partitionist team, thatā€™s a good suggestion. Maybe somebody from the United Kingdom part of the island - Joe Brolly Q.C. as you suggested or Jim Allister Q.C.

Has the referee been announced yet? Anybody bar Jerome Garces please,

Another outing for Nic Berry would be welcomed.

tenor

2 Likes

Hard one. Iv seen a lot of Gray and he is generally an excellent tackler. He was high in that incident yday, was contact with head but was mitigation (player falling). I thought yellow. Not even a penalty was highly unusual.

I think we have been measured. We knew we would end up in QF. And here we are. We knew there would be some tough games in the pool, and there was. We knew we would be heavy underdogs in any QF, and so we are.

For suits?

Like the Limerick team and supporters?

Ireland have beaten the all blacks two out of the last three times they met. You must be reasonably confident mate