Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

@padjo the stingy cunt buying it half the price now that they’re knocked out

1 Like

More like 75% off compared to the real one :grimacing:

Gatland, Eddie, Kidney and Joe have all left it in a better place. And yet we still haven’t got behind a quarter final. 6 nations championships between world cups really don’t matter at all

1 Like

I don’t agree with that. 6 nations always matter and we’ve won precious few of them.

On the Nov games, I’d agree of course that they are of less value that 6 nations etc. That being said they are an opportunity to measure ourselves against the likes of NZ. You’ll never beat them at a RWC if you can’t beat them then.

2 Likes
1 Like

6 nations should be use to properly test newer players in a proper meaningful game. Any idea what our 6 nations record is in world cup years?

I don’t believe there was anybody here making claims of greatness on the part of this Ireland side. Certainly not any of the rugby crew here. It was the rugby once every four years soccer crew who were losing the run of them. Speculating as to who Ireland would be playing in the final and talking of homecomings with the Webb Ellis Cup.

1 Like

Not sure but we’ve only won a handful of 5n/6n championships ever.

I think if you look at Joes time, you’ll prob find quite a few players played 6n games. However either they weren’t good enough, fell away or there was injury.

We won it in 2015 and in 2003 got to a last day Grand Slam decider against an England side who went onto win both the Grand Slam and World Cup. We won 3 out of 5 matches this year and think it was the same in 2011.

1 Like

Wales hardly have a great record record over the years against the big Southern Hemsiphere teams, I think they eked out one unimpressive victory over Australia last year after a run of about 12 or 13 straight defeats against them

They usually produce big performances at World Cups though, certainly more than Ireland

Ireland just don’t peak for World Cups

1 Like

Who’ll go along with Rory? Kearney, O’Mahony, Jonny, Earls, Healy, Murray? Half a team there!

2 Likes

Wales have been hit and miss enough at the World Cup. Their quarter final win over Ireland in Wellington in 2011 is their only knock out win since the inaugural tournament in 1987. I’d have Wales down as favourites to win in the morning and if they do, would give them a good chance in semi final. As against that, I wouldn’t be too surprised if France turned them over tomorrow.

Highlights about to start on RTE2 lads. Not to be missed

1 Like

So Wales might win or France might win? Good analysis once again.

8 Likes

Time to get all in behind Japan.

1 Like

I think that’s Gatland as much as Wales. Also, their big performances have been against 6n opposition. They lost at QF to Eng in 2003. They got knocked out in pool stages in 2007. They beat us in QF in 2011 before losing to France and then went out in the QF in 2015 having beaten Eng.

So basically very similar to Ireland apart from the time they beat Ireland.

As an aside, beating Southern Hemisphere opposition, in particular Aus, was a big target for Gatland in Nov internationals

2007 is really the only time that Wales have properly underperformed at a World Cup

Welsh rugby was in a dire state for a long time, they did fail to get out of the group in 1991 and 1995 but they played to about par for what they were worth, which was little, as they did in 1999 in reaching the quarter-finals

1987 as you say was a fine performance by them in getting third place

The 2003 World Cup was the start of the modern renaissance of Welsh rugby - they went into that tournament as no hopers but seriously rattled the cages of both New Zealand and England with some scintillating rugby and came away with their reputation much enhanced and Welsh public interest revitalised

2011 was a big success

In 2015 they didn’t make it to the semis but scored a memorable win over England in Twickenham and were very hard beaten by both Australia and South Africa in the quarter-final

1991 sadly remains Ireland’s high point in World Cup history

Ah here. They were robbed in 2011. They have been more than decent at the wc under gatland, and are playing very well again in this one.

Wales fucked away a big chance in that 2011 semi final. Warburton was correctly sent off. Even with 14, they should and could have won it.

It was nice to see the Chief Executive of the NTMA shake hands with Joe Schmidt as he came down the steps there.

4 Likes