Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

The single most outrageous decision I can remember in sport. Wasn’t even a penalty at that time. Shortly followed by NZ being handed the wc by the most bizarre string of one sided decisions by a referee I’ve ever witnessed (though in truth, the 2003 wc final wasn’t that far off)

1 Like

Official Ireland are out to get Ewan

Cahill is an absolutely dreadful commentator

2 Likes

You don’t watch much sport

2 Likes

I know I already paraphrased Heaslip before the game. But the full quote is better. The fucking gobshite.

"I was looking at both 15s and I wouldn’t swap anyone – I actually think New Zealand might take one or two of our players if they had the choice,” he beamed, although he stopped short of suggesting that we’d tonk them, forecasting that “Ireland are going to edge it by a score”.

5 Likes

Grown man - Ireland fan - crying on the news there about Schmidt’s departure.

2 Likes

Great isn’t it?

3 Likes

Messy drunk crying or sober crying?

He looked like he’d had a few.

They all did.

There’s far too many people taking joy in this latest humiliation. It had taken the gloss of it for me.

That said, its pretty pathetic that we still havent made a world cup semi. The inability to involve coming into the tournament is surely a damning indictment of coach schmidt. Even the Japanese coach mentioned that they exactly how Ireland would react to going behind.

2 Likes

Schmidt was and is a fraud. Anyone with an understanding of sports or rugby would know this. I take little enjoyment out of today’s humiliation.

5 Likes

They have been past the QF twice. Once by beating us and the other was in first ever comp. They haven’t got out of the pool three or four times Id say

Edit…I see you have adressed this already

Murray and O Mahoney are both only 30 id be surprised if they went.

I like Ewan’s trolling but he’s thrown out some nasty tweets today. Agree about the guff Heaslip spouts. He didn’t half spout some shite on radio today.
Everything was frustrating and disappointing instead of saying it was rubbish!

1 Like

32 quarter finals in 8 previous World Cups prior to this one were won 7 New Zealand, 6 Australia & France, 4 South Africa & England, 2 Wales & Argentina, 1 Scotland.

That highlights when it comes down to the business end, there’s a Big 5 who’ve claimed 27 of 32 semi final places. 29 of 34 after this morning.

Wales beat England in the quarter final of inaugural World Cup in 1987 - (England in 1987 were a rabble - wooden spoon in that year’s Five Nations and still a long way from the force, they came from 1990’s onwards). In 28 quarter final and semi final clashes involving Big 5 and the rest, Big 5 have won 27.

Wales beat Ireland in 2011 quarter final.

Argentina beat Scotland in 2007 quarter final & Ireland in 2015 quarter final.

Scotland beat Western Samoa in 1991 quarter final.

That’s a big glass ceiling for Wales to breach against France in the morning and for Japan against South Africa.

It isn’t really similar to Ireland though in that they’ve got past the quarter-finals twice and played to their limit in two losing quarter-finals

Ireland’s best performance in nine World Cups is playing to their limit in one quarter-final they lost, in 1991

I mean after that what was their best World Cup, probably 2011 when they lost to Wales 22-10 and beat Australia in the pool

The fact is that Ireland have consistently played well below their best in World Cup quarter-finals, they haven’t produced the goods

Scotland have a much better quarter-final record too, only losing by one score to Argentina in 2007, being chiselled by the referee in 2015 when they were about to beat Australia, a decent performance with a poor team against the Aussies in 2003, and creditable enough performances in defeat to New Zealand on three occasions, along with their semi-final in 1991

What’s also pretty damning about Ireland’s World Cup record is that the teams they’ve lost to have almost always lost their next match

Only Australia in 1991 beat Ireland in a knockout match and won their next match

Six others lost their next match

Neither team which eliminated Ireland in the pool in 2007 reached the final

I heard Heaslip on the radio today, a bit of a want in that chap alright

Watching Kearney get turned , I wondered was b Barrett maybe better than he’s counterpart. But dismissed it , Jamie know best

2 Likes

How many times did he say “ID” or “on point”