Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Ah Shtap.

Thats disappointing. He robbed a joke and tried to pass it off as his own. Very disappointing

1 Like

Players like big Devin donā€™t grow on trees.

Poor old Devon, fell at the final jump

He has experienced the highs, more often than not, of international rugby football.

Williamsā€™ article in the paper of record on this is very interesting. That Toner was being eased out from January? Any scoop on the reason @gilgamboa @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy @GeoffreyBoycott

Injury prone

According to that chart South Africa won the test.
Did they not award it to France?

Hardly the real story thereā€¦

Williams was a failed international coach when he got his shot at it, with Scotland. I wouldnā€™t be paying much heed to his so called ā€˜inside scoopā€™ from the Irish camp.

Rugby insiders circling the wagons hereā€¦

4 Likes

Big Dev in the kind of form he was in against New Zealand back in November would be a huge asset. Sadly heā€™s been injury plagued since then. A World Cup is no place for an injured player.

1 Like

He was injured for entire 6N so that sounds like a pile of bollix

He was only going to be a bench player with all fit anyway. He wouldnt be close to player Henderson is at this hour of his career

Big Dev played against England in the Six Nations opener, went off injured shortly after half time and didnā€™t feature again after that. Thereā€™s a lot of sentimentality here from the pretend rugby haters to an old crowd favourite and great servant. Thereā€™s no sentiment in professional sport though and to select an injury crocked veteran would be a dereliction of duty by Coach Schmidt.

Conas a deireann tĆŗ ā€œDevon Tonerā€ as Gaeilge?

Iā€™m sure arguments can be made as to whether the application could have been strengthened. Ultimately Iā€™m not sure it mattered though. South Africa scored higher than France and didnā€™t win. The final decision was based on money and politicking as much as it was on bid quality, thatā€™s where the IRFU got really out-manoeuvred

Would the style of play Ireland have and the effort they put in to beating NZ have played a part in his injuries?

I wonder what they think the real agenda is? Did Matt Williams tell them that at all? I didnt read the article as Im not a fan of his columns albeit I think he is a genial old coot.

Did Dev key Joe Schmidtā€™s car, or play an elaborate prank on Joe that humiliated him? Big Dev doesnā€™t seem the type but who knows.

Schmidt always goes for project players over Irish players when given a direct choice.

Is this an IRFU policy to encourage project players to come here? Like the policy not to select Irish players based abroad?

1 Like

He lasted most of his career, predominantly coached by Joe at club and country, without any significant injury profile. He just got unlucky that his first serious injury came in his 30s.

So I dont know is the answer ro your question, but the evidence would suggest he managed away fine in that game plan for a long time

1 Like

Does he? Thats a big claim.