Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Another Irish media narrative.

The Irish media are in control of NZ Rugby? Iā€™m as confused as yourself here.

1 Like

So your blaming joe schidmt for injuries now? Your issue seems to be with the media and not the facts.

@glasagusban posing many pertinent questions here but heā€™s only getting bluster as answers so far.

Itā€™s one thing winning end of season friendlies, itā€™s another to do it on the big stage.

Thanks. Thatā€™s essentially been my point.

If you say so. In my opinion the world cup has to be the litmus test. If he goes to two world cups and doesnā€™t make it past the last eight in a sport that about eight teams are competitive in, then thatā€™s certainly an underachievement.

Why canā€™t you set moderately ambitious targets for rugby?

Injuries is an excuse. Ireland were torn apart because of their limited and inhibited ambition.

Gats has a better coaching record than Schmidt.

You said earlier heā€™s overrated. Now you saying are if he doesnā€™t make a semi final this time heā€™s an underachiever.forget about the World Cup coming up. How do you rate schidmts tenure as Ireland coach? 2 wins in Paris, 3 six nations wins, 1 slam, beat new zeal and x 2 and South Africa in South Africa plus won a series in Australia. During his 6 years heā€™s lost Ryan and zebo plus Jackson and olding not to mind the retirements of o Connell and drico.

Did I? I merely asked a question and the rubby crowd have lambasted me for it. This is exactly what Iā€™d expect from Irish media coverage of rugby. Anything other than best coach in the world and world class players and you get ate.

If you take maybe 5 of the 7 best players out of a team theyā€™ll always struggle. In fact theyā€™ll usually get hammered. Look at limerick v tipp In championship this year with 4 good players missing and 2 weeks later with the players back v the same team. Also schidmt has learnt from this and weā€™ve far more depth and experience in every position something heā€™s built on for 4 years now.

Ah Jesus pal, itā€™s the worst French team in living memory. Itā€™s no achievement beating them.

1 Like

Record defeat to England too

2 Likes

Heā€™s done it though. Regularly winning in Paris is something we struggled with. Heā€™s pretty much ticked every single box as Irish manager.

That beating was coming dude to Irelandā€™s set up. I suppose the injuries were a freak occurrence of bad luck as well and completely outside of anyoneā€™s control. More excuses.

Did I?

How was it coming? Injuries are part and parcel of the game. Heā€™d only 2 years to prepare for the last World Cup so creating the depth was difficult. Losing Sexton, Pom, o Connell and o brien was cruel. Youā€™d expect to lose 3 or 4 but losing your 3 best players is cruel and bad look.

Exactly. Pretty minor achievements taken completely out of context and overinflated. Wins in France and wins against weakened NZ in meaningless games overegged. Beating NZ is of course an achievement, but it shouldnā€™t be unexpected.

The one measure that adds proper context is a world cup but for some reason Iā€™m not allowed use it as a barometer. Thatā€™s ridiculous.

5 Likes

Werenā€™t Wales crippled by injuries against England at the last World Cup and they beat them on their own turf?

Ireland were playing an average enough Argentina side and got filleted - an Argentina side themselves who got devoured in the semi final.

Even with a few absentees that Ireland team should have been good enough to dig it out. That they werenā€™t falls on the coach to a large extent.

Bad luck is nonsense. More excuses. And SOB was suspended due to his own indiscipline and idiocy.

A weakened New Zealand team? You said missing players are excuses :joy: we canā€™t complain about losing our 3 best players versus Argentina but your happy to downgrade our wins v New Zealand as they were missing players :joy: we were missing plenty of players for both New Zealand games too chief. Injuries are a part of the game.

1 Like