Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

Argentina always had better structures than Italy. Italy had a golden generation and got lucky that when they were on the scene there were commercial broadcasters looking to expand the Five Nations.

their under 20s are going well again

And the star of the Italy golden generation was an import from Argentina - Diego Dominguez.

I was only thinking that when I was out for a walk this evening. The Olympics will be a particular target and the Olympics has extreme significance to the Israel/Palestine situation as regards what happened in 1972.

I would absolutely expect another surge in Islamic terrorism in Europe soon, when Israel unleashes the hell it’s undoubtedly going to unleash.

a cracking player. saw him in thomond a few times.

Britain
Ireland
France
South Africa
Fiji
Argentina
New zeland

Vs
France
Argentina
Morocco
England
Portugal
Brazil
Holland
Croatia

Parisse was Argentinian too I think.

Correct. Both his parents were Italian they moved to arg before he was born. I think his old man might have played rugby for Italy

1 Like

He was a player

My mate Gary French played pro rugby in France and Italy. He said they’re great folk, but odd. If they aren’t up for a game, there’s nothing you can do or say to get them up for it. They play away unbothered by winning (or losing). But, he said, if they are up for a game, they’d (you need a St Helen’s accent here) ,“they’d tear your fkin 'ead off”
He could never quite figure out what got them up for a game, and what didn’t, but I suspect it was along easht Galway club type lines. A row over a ditch between brothers in 1907 type thing.

7 Likes

One the best ever, should have had a world player of the year award, he was phenomenal.

I wonder is rugby a toff sport in places like Romania, Georgia, Chile etc. I assume so in Argentina based on the backgrounds of a lot of the players. Spain would be kind of similar, though I have met regular folk who are into rugby and toffs, so it is hard to know as there isnt the interest overall in the country. You’d see plenty of youngfellas near the French border alright in rugby kit, and I came across an underage game in the middle of Algeiceras of all places once upon a time.

The Scottish @gilgamboa

Worth waiting til the end

Looks like potentially good news for Lowe anyways. Hansen is touch and go but not ruled out. Earlsy is fit but dunno do you want him starting against the All Blacks.

I’d be starting Jimmy o B anyway if it came to it. I think the wing is only place All Blacks will think they can realistically attack us and you need as much pace as you can there

1 Like

He wasn’t fit for them 4 years ago in a World Cup, it wouldnt bode well if he were starting now.

1 Like

Would they look at ringrose if henshaw was fit? I’d go with Jimmy over earls too.

Jimmy’s only drawback is that he wouldn’t be as used to the Lowe/Hansen first/second receiver role but I’d have zero issues with him starting over Earls/Stockdale whoever.

1 Like

If they start a Stockdale, you can forget about it.

1 Like

Is Stockdale in the squad?