Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

I donā€™t think itā€™s crass to be skeptical about how much medical science can do to stop lads like Henshaw, whom nobody can argue is injury prone, from pulling up in warm-ups. Iā€™ve zero doubt Stephen Mutch would do his due diligence but itā€™s still a big risk as as tallback has mentioned. Henshaw is a magnificent player with a bit of consistent gametime behind him but hasnā€™t managed that since 2021.

The last thing you want is to have Henshaw named at 13 (Ringrose on the wing) or 23 (Ringrose at 13) for Saturday and have to change plans again for arguably the biggest match in our history.

1 Like

Yea because NO medical team EVER sent a player out who was patently not up to playing

The 4 year cycle. Do you remember what happened against New Zealand 4 years ago?

Yeah fair enough but itā€™s rugby, you canā€™t ever cover all eventualities with injuries. Personally I hope Henshaw makes it as heā€™s one of our best players.

Donā€™t get me wrong - Iā€™d love Henshaw to make it and would have thought Ringrose on the wing with Henshaw in the centre could look good there.

2 Likes

Ringrose is definitely the most similar player to Hansen Iā€™d say.

Henshaw would be a massive downgrade on Ringrose in one of the most important positions on the pitch

2 Likes

Ringrose is so integral to our attack itā€™d be a bit of a disaster to take him out of the centre.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a testament to the Irish economic miracle.

2 Likes

Yeah heā€™s been going well but I think Iā€™d prefer Henshaws experience than Oā€™Brien.
Ringrose was out of the centre from early enough on Sat and we still went well so thatā€™s some comfort.

Anyway, Iā€™d be surprised if Henshaw makes it so itā€™s a moot point I suppose.

I canā€™t believe lads are countenancing this.

Announce ZEEEBOOO

And lads giving out about handing over 90 notes for an all Ireland ticket

1 Like

Sure itā€™s their final game of the tournament - thereā€™s bound to be a premium

2 Likes

God bless you Mickey Noonan

Gerry Thornley in the IT suggesting that Earls starts if Hansen doesnā€™t make it.

If true, I think it is a mistake. Earls is an excellent finisher and has plenty of big match experience. However, I think his defence is suspect ant the top level and I canā€™t remember him consistently working across the pitch the way Hansen does, which is often the key to us opening teams up. Thatā€™s before you get to the hamstring strain.

Could be just the nerves getting to me but Iā€™m worried.

1 Like

Would you give Jimmy Oā€™ Brien the nod instead?

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if New Zealand have any of the hallmarks of Joe Schmidtā€™s Ireland on Saturday or is his coaching role overstated? Theyā€™ll hardly be relying on box kicking and systematic attacking play. Although to be fair Leinster played some sublime rugby under Joe Schmidt before he became more cautious with Ireland.

Iā€™m pretty sure Schmidt said Ireland werenā€™t good enough to play his style.

The style thing is totally over played too.

Maybe - still a big enough step down. I think his defence and playmaking are stronger although Earls is a better finisher. Hasnā€™t played a game in months though.

Hansen is a significant loss

1 Like

The New Zealanders have a very funny attitude. The 2016 win in Chicago seems to have really rattled them. They became totally obsessed with schidmt and Ireland ever since then.