Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

Only Crowley Iā€™d say didnā€™t come on?

Conan made a bit of a difference tbf.

Ya Farrell likes lads light and quick footed.

Youā€™d wonder what its like for both sides of the exchanges there between the Green Kiwis and the All Black players. Its gotta be a weird feeling for both, I mean, youā€™re both New Zealanders and you both know it. Strange one.

Fickou butchered a try chance for France last night after about 5 minutes that would have put them 14-0 up. All he had to do was pass it to Billie Barry outside him and he was in but he hung on for the glory himself. Would have made it a totally different game

4 Likes

Itā€™s replacements pal, replacements.

Itā€™s finishers

7 Likes

Shades of the 2012 6 Nations where we had to go face into Wales in the first match back after that sickening quarter-final defeat to the same opponent. It quickly turned into a damp squib of a campaign with a postponed fixture against France thrown into the mix.

Having to wait until 2027 for another shot at a semi-final appearance feels like an eternity. Itā€™ll be 40 years since the competitions inception. Iā€™ve been watching Ireland in rugby World Cups since 2003 and Iā€™d rank Saturday as the most deflating result. Worse than 2011 as weā€™d have gone on and reached the final. Youā€™d nearly wonder should they scrap the Lions tour and have a World Cup on a biennial basis. Iā€™d much prefer it.

3 Likes

Yea I donā€™t get the complaining about the draw. If it was handpicked in the summer weā€™d have had 4 hammerings this weekend

Jez I dunno this could be an incredibly exciting period. Iā€™d say 10/12 of the 23 will be moving on.

Youā€™ve a resurgent Munster too which wonā€™t go down too well with a lot of the Dublin based media.

Iā€™d love to see a Munster v Leinster Champions Cup final but is that Munster resurgence being mainly based on a victory versus a rotated Leinster team in the Magners/Pro Direct/Celtic League/URC semi-final? I know they won in South Africa afterwards but they performed better in the Champions Cup under Rassie.

Iā€™d agree that the creation of a young team backboned by those U20 grand slam winning teams is exciting though.

The British media- your Sky Sports, Stuart Barnes types bought into peak HEC competing Munster more than the D4 media.

Rassie had one bad squad when he was over Munster.

A lot more exciting young players in Munster now.

Healy a huge loss.

I think Munster have probably been 5th or 6th best team in Europe but they werenā€™t really close to Toulouse, racing, Leinster, La Rochelle and sarries.

I think Leinster will really pay for carrying the can with Ireland.

It will leave a more open European cup.

Theyā€™ll give Crowley a horrid time of it too desperately trying to compare him to sexton.

THE MIGHTY MEN OF MUNSTAH

3 Likes

I though the French peaked 2 years ago. Injuries didnā€™t help but they have also fallen off a lot defensively. Shaun Edwardā€™s was lauded when he came into the french set up but the code seems to be cracked now. They shipped a lot of tries and scores in the 6 nations and the same for a few of the pre tournament challenges.
Add in the fact they were at home and the expectations on them and they were likely to wobble.

Ah here - Ryle Nugent and his ā€œGlory Glory Munsterā€ spiel, Hook and McGurk regularly waxing lyrical while on a scaffold in Thomond, Thornley in full cheer-leading mode in the IT. Utter revisionism to say that Munster didnā€™t get bought into by the ā€œD4 mediaā€ whatever that is.

Rugby

Have the team arrived home yet?

The Irish Rugby team have a lovely history of making absolute tools of themselves when they come home from big games/tours.

The Lions are a busted flush. If the tour goes ahead in 2025 to Oz, itā€™ll be the last one. Canā€™t see why anyone would be arsed watching the best of GB & Ire take on the Aussie rabble, who were thrashed by an average Welsh outfit.

2 Likes

Sean Oā€™ Brien having a wild night out in Carlow after the 2015 World Cup is a classic of the genre. He ended up eating a raw spud the same night. Having said that a friend of mine was only saying the other night that If heā€™d wandered into a house party in our college accommodation in UL at the time weā€™d have probably put on a feed for him and given him a heroā€™s welcome. He was blaggarded by the Carlow IT lads so he was.

3 Likes

Zeebs/Murray Lions Tour 2013, Paddy Jackson/Stuart Olding Japan 2016, Sean Oā€™Brien in Cassidys in 2019 also rank highly in their tale of woe.

1 Like