Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

After this. I’m sure you were being completely serious;

He hasnt a breeze mate… his opening gambit of 280grand being not much shows he’s in a different world altogether.

1 Like

Yes, that was clearly a serious comment. 100% serious.

It seems a lot of money to me.
Would the schools get a cut of the gate and TV money?

Rassie is a dickhead, I’d find it hard to support any team he was involved with.

1 Like

It isn’t though.

I went to a couple of these schools and saw the scale of it- the money primarily went on hourly teacher costs. In recent years there has been layers added to this by schools spending big- primarily on full time physios at games, equipment, video equipment, nutritionists and even full time coaches. One of the big tricks that some schools who cannot he named was to bring in “rugby” teachers. Yes they actually teach but the hiring is often driven from rugby.

For a middle of the road school, €280k wouldn’t be mad at all.

Let’s take a school with 600 kids, that is €466 per pupil. For c. 400 kids, that is c. €700.

Parents will spend varying money to keep children occupied. That money is not out of the realms of what is reasonable for something that probably fills a minimum 200 hours a year, in fact it is cheap.

Think of it another way. If a school of 600 10 years ago was getting €4k a year in fees from each pupil- their starting point would probably to spend 40% of the budget catching up with less funding. It could be more depending on building loans. That leaves close to €1.5m in discretionary spend. Why wouldn’t they spend that kind of money on their main activity that takes up the majority of the space in their school?

People go mad about these numbers but they aren’t all that earth shattering when you break it down.

my daughter is doing crochet, 65 euro a pop for 8 weeks, 20 kids doing it

@padjo - whats the crochet budget for the school compared to the rugby budget in belvo?

3 Likes

Knitting?

How many hours a week are we talking?

eh, knitting uses two needles mate

1 formal hour within the school

hours of freestyling by yourself

€65 and she’s only learning to use one needle. Sounds like you’re being mugged off

shocked not safe for work GIF

4 Likes

So about €8.13 per hour of instruction.

If you were to pro rata that out for 7 hours (close to rugby peaks) a week for 26 weeks @400 kids a year you’d be looking at a budget of close to €600k a year.

Craaaazzzzy.

It is mad money. Your breakdown is entirely based on what private schools do which is entirely aloof from real life for most schools. I would also question how the money is accounted for if that went supposedly went on hourly teacher costs. I also visit these private rugby/high level sports schools. In general the facilities they have and learning supports are off the charts. By all means piss away your private money whatever way they want but then pay for all your own everything else too. Shane Ross and the likes giving private schools cash for upgrades to hockey and rugby pitches is nonsense.

Your point about what parents spend to keep children occupied is lunacy. A gaa club costs 2-300 quid a year. A football club similar. They are comparable sports. The point being that schools are fucked for cash all over the country. Plenty waiting for new buildings promised years ago. We shouldnt subsidise private education for the wealthy.

2 Likes

Can she knock me out an Ireland team of us beanie in time for the next world cup? If.she could inscribe ‘this time it’s definitely going to be different’ that’d be just swell

1 Like

She’s a dub mate. We only need wan needle wha?

1 Like

It isn’t aloof to the real world costs of things.

What does a week of summer camp cost?
What does an hour of swimming cost?

Break it down at this is not mad money. You can have your view on these schools but that is in now way crazy for providing 7+ hours a week (mostly out of school time) of activities for hundreds of kids for probably half the calendar year.

You would swear with the €280k that this was all going on the Senior Cup team. That’s utter shite 10 years ago for a middle of the road team.

It would not surprise me at all now if some of the top schools were spending a couple of hundred thousand on their first team (which I agree is crazy) now but that is not what was said.

If there was crockery broken then that definitely confirms one attendee from TFK was in attendance from Cork.

I was in Rathmines a few weeks ago and was appalled to see St. Mary’s have put a new Astro Turf in their front pitch which looked an absolutely iconic mud bath for years with the slope at the top.

I’m sure thats where Johnny learnt his trade too, so such a shame to see it ripped up for an abomination of a thing.

5 Likes