Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

For shame.

As i said, what parents pay privately for kids activities is neither here nor there. (Although the comparable examples i gave are way way cheaper obviously.).

280 grand would dwarf the school spend on any other sport if its a public school. Or any other activity. Itā€™s only in any way comparable to what privately funded schools spend on their rugby academies. And if they have that much money to throw around on it, they shouldnt be taking money from the public purse, or should be receiving a lot less.

Itā€™s irrelevant unless you are comparing like with like.

Are they paying Mr Oā€™Brien from Ballyfucknowhere to coaches the Under 13c team for an hour and a half on a Monday after school?

Thatā€™s what the fee schools do and thatā€™s why you will have a build up of costs quickly.

If you are advocating for teachers to all be paid and to coach multiple days a week all over the country then I have no issue with that.

Harsh, heā€™s a great rugby brain with the success to match.

From my childhood memory of that Saturday morning final Iā€™m fairly sure Leonard was only a sub who was used sparingly by England. He was a real veteran by that stage. Might have come on in extra-time.

Iā€™ll check who it was.

That was our 23 from 2011.

Out 23 from last Saturday doesnā€™t compare with that.

Such a pity they never looked at sexton at 12 and o gara at 10.

Our back row was different gravey too.

That was the biggest fuck up off all time.

Lost Jerry Flannerry and David Wallace too going into it.

1 Like

Not enough Leinster lads on it unfortunately

That was some bloody team.

I was watching the game again today and youā€™d wonder the way rugby is going would they be better off bringing Dan Sheehan on after 50 minutes when the game opens up.

He could do more damage against tired legs in 30 minutes than he would in the opening 50 minutes.

Kellerher isnā€™t as explosive but heā€™s a good player.

Iā€™d say the same for Murray and Gibson park too maybe.

1 Like

Schmidt fucked it

I was saying that at the outset of the tournament. Our team from 2004-2011 had more stars than the current side. A veteran Peter Oā€™ Mahoney was an ever present on the current team while if you go back 6-7 years ago he couldnā€™t get in the team at all when SOB and Heaslip were regulars. Andy Farrell has done a great job in general. Christ it was only February 2021 that Billy Burns was starting out-half for us and things looked bleak enough.

1 Like

Kelleher is one of the few players who probably stands out as having had a poor tournament though. Between the line out malfunction in the first half of the South Africa game and his decision to break away from the maul against New Zealand on Saturday night. Good player but Sheehan looks a level above him now.

Thatā€™s the thing about it.

In 2021 the prospects looked absolutely terrible for Irish rugby.

If you said what unfold up until last Saturday I doubt anybody would have predicted it.

Donā€™t think you can Blame kelleher for the line out tbh. Itā€™s been average for a long time and thatā€™s with herring, Sheehan and kelleher throwing.

I thought he was hopeless against SA and was surprised he got more game time in the tournament.

1 Like

I didnā€™t think he done too bad.

Iā€™d like to be the first TFK rubby man to ask serious questions about Simon Easterbyā€™s role going forward. We can surely find a better defense coach.

Cant read as behind a paywall but would appear we already have a comp that has representation from ire, Wales, Scot, Italy and SA. So whatā€™s this one offering? Oh, English clubs that are going down the swanny presently???

Oh how the mighty have fallen

This is gas. Oā€™Connellā€™s efforts at coaching since leaving playing have been not very flattering. He then somehow got called into the national setup.

He came into the setup as lineout coach and the forward pack were brilliant, including areas far beyond his remit of lineout, but he got all the credit.

Our arguably best player in the world at 8, our actual world player of the year at 7 and prop got absolutely bossed contributing massively to the loss and the lineout malfunctioned and itā€™s all on Easterby.

I donā€™t think he gets half the credit he deserves and I think Oā€™Connell gets an easy ride of it.

8 Likes