Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

Has the defence improved or worsened in since previous world cup would you say? What area of defence ā€œimplodedā€?

Didnā€™t say he canā€™t be criticised. Be interested to hear as defence, to my mind, is the one area weā€™ve been consistently excellent in.

I think we got caught with two very poor breaks against the kiwis anyways for the chip in the first half and then for the Moā€™unga run for the Jordan try. Great teams exploit those lapses and Ireland will never be a great side until they sharpen up. You can either be a Ger Gilroy type that commends Ireland for another brave lose or you can look inwards and say that Quarter Final was likely our best chance since 2015 to reach a semi. Thereā€™s no guarantee lads like Crowley, Prendergast, Hawkshaw etc will be top level outhalves in 2027 for instance.

Donā€™t get me wrong: lineouts and scrum were a disaster too but I think you look at long term backroomers now and freshen things upā€¦

Individual error like Sheehan falling for footwork cost that try. The system didnā€™t break. Isolated individual errors are hardly his fault?

Iā€™d be more pissed off at our paucity of options in attack. Kiwis read us like a childrenā€™s book. When mack Hansen went off, any spontaneity went with him. 40 phases and barely bent their line

2 Likes

Ah lads, the rugby team has been on a steadily upwards curve. They had the big target on their back and they wore it honourably. They had a decent run of luck with injuries, and despite the insinuations of a broken hearted one eyed Gerry Thornley, they had an even share of the refereeing. NZ deserved it, but it say six times out of ten weā€™d beat them narrowly. Just one of those days. The coaching team are clearly outstanding. Simon Easterly is a kind, quiet and humble gentleman. We got no part of that set up wrong, bar not giving everyone a run against Romania. Thatā€™d be my only gripe. Everyone on the squad should have got a game at some point that wasnā€™t injured. Iā€™ve said before that because Ireland players are better managed than anyothers, they are often superior between world cups. World cups are the only time where all the top teams have the opportunity of equal rest and preparation. I think SA will win, unless England soften them up enough because I think they are unnaturally strong and have unnatural endurance.
I hope NZ win.

3 Likes

They did

3 Likes

NZ waved Ireland through for two tries. Akiā€™s try especially was amateurish from NZ.

I reckon he meant start a game.

1 Like

I made an error above. Jimmy Oā€™Brien was another who offered spontaneity in attack when he came on.

Those two aside, we were very dull in attack.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll never understand this.

Does that happen in soccer world cups?

Itā€™s only the Irish who go on about it.

We lacked a game changer.

Yes

Many FIFA World Cup sides run the bench when they are qualified. Given Ireland were playing Romania this game equates in a similar manner.

1 Like

Sadly our management got a lot right, but erred badly on the outhalf situation, an issue well flagged.

Thought their discipline was unbelievable in those phases .it was like they knew Irish had nothing more than the set plays .

Unreal. They were very disciplined in their decision making too. Rarely saw them shoot out of the line or buy a dummy runner. Had us worked out.

1 Like

Yes, its almost like they knew Irelands playmaker in chief wasnā€™t a threat to them in his own right, and could set their defensive line accordingly

Zebo would have offered the X Factor.
A famous goose step would have bamboozled the Kiwis

1 Like

ah lads :smiley:

2 Likes

I know youre not one to drone on somwould.just point you to the lack of metres and offloading the likes of Doris usually offers to help on the attacking front

Excuses excuses. It was plain to see the outhalf couldnt take the ball to the gain line and the defense knew it. Doris is another factor, but he didnt get the ball on practically every play.

We got an 18 year Economic boom out of Italia 90 according to your Colm Meaneys