Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

He had to put that down to something, he wasn’t going to give any credit to the government of the day

It happens in loads of countries and loads of sports. Its massive for morale in the camp i believe. Makes them all feel part of it. The knock on effect is greater overall team performance. Talk to mark James.

Jonathan had to expect that after his conduct over the years. Shur him roaring at O’Gara in 09 finished off Munster for the guts of nearly 15 years.

1 Like

Sexton is no angel. That said I’d have a view that there’s a difference between something said in the heat of battle during a game and that said afterwards.

I love the sporting villain.

Patrick reed being an example.

I meant start. But it’s easy from the cheap seats.

1 Like

Soccer world cups are different because there are very few complete one sided games that you can call from a mile out, and it’s riskier with goal difference. You don’t get games where you know that with as much certainty as you can possibly have in a sporting contest that you’ll win and win comfortably. That would be my opinion.
It was as safe as it could be results wise to start a completely different side in a game or two. You’d not dare in soccer quite. Plus soccer is less attritional. But, in principle, yes, I’d try and give everyone I could a start at a world cup

I’d say the biggest task NZ faced was keeping a straight face while saying the Irish were the best team in the world in the run up to the game.

10 Likes

It usually only happens to people who deserve it. That will stick in his craw forever

If you give it, you better expect to take it.

Peter O Mahoneys “bigger fish to fry” jibe wont be forgotten for a while by the Scots.

3 Likes

That article could be summed up in one word: no. Now move on ffs. What’s next? Could foreign direct investment in Ireland be affected by rugby slump? Will global peace depend on Ireland breaking World Cup hoodoo? Gimme a break…

Have the Scots ever made it past the quarters?

Och aye, lost a seminal semi final in 1991. Hastings bottled it from in front of the posts. A massive choke. Finkel’esque.

3 Likes

Sexton-like miss.

The commentary cuts to this day.

“Nobody on the England side I’m sure believes he’ll miss this one”

“He’s too good and he’s playing too well”

Oh…

“Hastings from under 20 metres”

“That must be a dreadful moment for him”

1 Like

1 Like

Rugby has come on since then in fairness. Martin Tyler and Ally McCoist drafted in to do commentary on a semi final.

1 Like

I think it was karma over the Peyper incident. If you’re gonna throw stones you have to expect you might get rocks in response.