Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

He showed his true colours that time he skipped the queue on me at the Barbers in Ranelagh in November 2018.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a fierce young team. Serious turnover of players/bolters there. Garry Ringrose came onto the scene just after the 2015 World Cup so Iā€™d say heā€™d be eager to hang on for a 3rd World Cup. Only 18 months/1 school year younger than Henshaw but seems a good bit fresher.

These long-term predictions are always way off but I think weā€™ve enough exciting prospects for the 2027 cycle. Weā€™ll see a big drop off from key names like Furlong, Henshaw, Lowe etc in the next couple of years.

Iā€™d be very excited about seeing Cathal Forde up against top European teams. I think he might be our biggest homegrown prospect since Henshaw.

2 Likes

Heā€™s Gunne if Iā€™m not mistaken. A scion of the real estate bigwigs

Why does nobody reckon Dan Sheahan will start in 27ā€™, are his fundamentals that bad? I like Kelleher but athletically, Sheahan is a different planet.

Sheahan and Ake compensate an awful lot carrying wise for what is a very light pack I think.

I thought Prendegast was a certainty when I saw him early stages with the 20s, but wouldnā€™t be sure now. His kicking is very erratic.

Paddy Jackson left some career behind him through his own behaviour. Very impressive any time Iā€™ve seen him with London Irish and probably been the best 10 over there since he went.

Also no mention of Casey in any teams, brilliant rugby player but too small I take it. Watching the games in the quarters, he would likely struggle at that level.

If there was a different place kicking option in the team, could Jack Carty get one more run at it?

4 Likes

You would know a clamping even if you had ones on uiyr nipples and one on your ballsack

I think DTM is a huge prospect tbh. His darts are no worse than Sheehan/Kelleher/Herring despite his inexperience but his carrying is absolutely ferocious. I think if he got a good run of first team action at Connacht heā€™ll grow into a top player. Sheehan will always be ahead of Kelleher anyways so heā€™ll be a mainstay of the 23 if he can stay fit.

Prendergast had a tough initiation to senior rugby but he reminds me a lot of Jackson, who was horrific until around the South Africa tour prior to the court case. I think he has the minerals to make it.

Casey is a bit too Luke McGrath tbh.

Carty never recovered from Japan. Heā€™s put some poor seasons back to back for the province. JJ Hanrahan will see a lot of gametime this year, which says how bad things are. Iā€™d expect Hawkshaw to be moved to 3rd choice 10 this season as he wonā€™t displace Bundee or Forde.

1 Like

Casey is a banter merchant, there to fulfil the group morale role. He was usurped by Matt Hansen in that position in recent weeks.

Is Jake Flannery up to it?

I found myself nodding my head in agreement with your summation of Dan Sheehan and Paddy Jackson but I canā€™t see Jack Carty being afforded another chance. Heā€™ll be 35 by the time the next World Cup comes around. Jackson would have been a serious competitor to Sexton. He was playing serious rugby in that 2016-17 period. When he initially broke through he looked like an innocent sort of young lad. The last fella you expected to become embroiled in the scandal that ensued.

1 Like

No.

Hard to know yet. I hear good things but European rubby will be a good indicator. Heā€™s older than Crowley isnā€™t he?

He played Minor for Tipperary in 2017 so 24 this year.

I dont know what age Crowley is.

Seems to be a big deal in the property finance industry to have a son on the Ireland rugby team.

Youā€™re not implying anything there I hope

@Bandage Jnr is probably a shoe-in once he stops fluting around with Raheny GAA

5 Likes

Iā€™m not. Just an observation

He did a great lip sync video with zebo to niggaz in paris that Iā€™d say was honestly the best bit of sportsmen engaging in bantz Ive ever seen

1 Like

Kelleher ahead of Sheehan? On what basis?

I thought he was a couple of years younger! It doesnā€™t seem to be going too well so at Ulster since he moved up for a lad that age.