Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

Can I ask a potentially silly question. In schools hurling/football/rugby/soccer, do the coaches have to be members of staff or can you draft in outside help?

Outside help in many cases for all

1 Like

They must be some clatter of wankers. Who comes up with this nonsense?

3 Likes

Sure thatā€™s always been the way.

Most teach/sub/do PE in the school in the Dublin private schools for rugby anyway.

Any of the hurling coaches Iā€™ve seen are also teachers in the school.

1 Like

Isnā€™t he a teacher?

I may have read that wrongly. I was under the impression his job was hurling coach and not teaching.

Pat Critchley works in SCR as a coach since his retirement as a teacher but knowing Critchley its probably all voluntary. Iā€™d be surprised this wasnā€™t common enough around the place.

In a lot of instances, I think the ā€˜teacherā€™ bit is very loose. In some instances, I know of firsthand, itā€™s very very very loose. @fenwaypark will know what, or should I say who, Iā€™m getting at here!

1 Like

Heā€™s not

1 Like

I donā€™t think Phil Werahiko is a teacher.

2 Likes

1 Like

I had to look him up!

I wonder how he got on over?!

He was Director of Rugby at Belvo for years.

Putin plant, infiltrating high faluting Irish society

Paidi Maher coached Thurles CBS last year and he a guard; I think I read that on here anyway

Seems I was very niave in my thinking

1 Like

Probably ā‚¬50k from the school plus whatever else he can get from coaching elsewhere.

I know of a middle of the road rugby school on the southside of Dublin whose budget for rugby in a school year was ā‚¬280k. That was in 2012/13.

Private schools should have all their state funding taken away if they are pissing their money away like this. While at the same time many of these private schools fail to give oay equality to teachers.

6 Likes