Rural Ireland more grounded than urbanites

Dubs would shoot their family for an ounce of gear

12 Likes

The best thing about rural living is everyone knows everyone, the worst thing about rural living is everyone knows everyone

4 Likes

I think the propensity towards incest is worse

2 Likes

Canā€™t deny that, in the cities they just mug you at syringe point

1 Like

And that has a huge effect on regulating society, say you are a spark or car salesman in rural Ireland, if you are useless, or a con man, word spreads like wildfire and you have almost no chance of making something of yourself. Not so in dublin where thereā€™s always strangers to rip off.

Imagine the whispers at mass if you got in trouble, got fired, got arrested etc the shame on your family, lads have left ireland for less. Contrast that to a city where people donā€™t know who lives three doors down.

Now thereā€™s massive negatives to people being up in your business but ive seen some great help given from closeness. One family near me where the father died and the farm was left to the wife and two young daughters, the whole townland kept the farm going for years and saved them.

4 Likes

Youā€™re right, think that gives an explanation why some teams from rural areas do so well in GAA, playing for the pride of the village/ town, donā€™t really get that anymore in cities, well maybe outside of some Dublin football clubs

1 Like

True. now the pride can go to bizarre poisonous levels too. Thankfully

1 Like

Normal people :rofl:

Sure theres fellas who would cut you for the coat on your back and the watch that you got from your mother. Now take care young bucko and find yourself well

3 Likes

And give this wee note to me brother

2 Likes

Is it better to stay in the one area all your life, know everyone, marry a local girl and spend your life entrenched in the community? Can you ever fully develop? Or does one need to go into the unknown and outside their comfort zone to fully develop and realise that things that you thought were important donā€™t matter a shit to other people? :thinking:

1 Like

Better to go and come back? Or can you ever go back?

1 Like

if youre always in same group all your life is it really healthy?

2 Likes

Itā€™s definitely not ā€˜betterā€™ but a lot of the happiest fellas do just that. Maybe theyā€™re right. If I hadnā€™t seen such riches I could live with being poor.

2 Likes

Most leave and come back when older and fed up of the traffic, noise etc

Itā€™s definitely easier to have high self esteem too. Jimmy sloyan the mayo pub shite talker is a good example. Genuinely thinks heā€™s a great lad cos he was on the mayo minor panel 40 years ago. In the wide world no one would give a bollox but in his town it still gives or at least did give him a modicum of status.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly the pointā€¦ Itā€™s a false world and only can be if you have nothing elseā€¦ It was probably big news once but if nothing changes it stays big newsā€¦in your head anyway.

Probably not, but some lads do that and are well rounded, other lads come back from oz as complete cunts.

I think itā€™s definitely worth getting out of your comfort zone a few times.

2 Likes

Remember the lads who used to come back from Aus via Thailand with bleached hair, an eye piercing and a tribal necklaceā€¦ :smile:

And then when you go to oz you realise half of them spend every minute in the tea gardens crying into pints about how much they miss ireland and how great it is.