Russia Vs Ukraine (Part 1)

Says the lad who spent 8 years studying history :smile:

2 Likes

A very random interjection.

Also we sent half the young people in the country to Australia etc barely 15 years ago

There’s no future in history.

Like it’s very tricky situation but unfortunately the longer this goes on the less it’ll be in peoples minds.

Some sort of scheme to help integrate them into society will only benefit them anyway.

Like as awful as it sounds they must be bored to tears at this stage just sitting around all day in places like lisdoonvarna and
Ballyferriter.

As refugees?

Worse, economic migrants. Not even genuine refugees.

You don’t get to decide what my concerns are or how i think.

Piling people from one crisis into another isn’t a good strategy

We have a housing crisis. We can’t house irish citizens. We have problems in health and education.

Accepting what we can rationally and logically accomodate for now while letting refugees go somewhere more suitable in the short term, key point being in the short term while we build up a sustainable strategy to integrate them as much as possible seems reasonable to me.

You can get as hysterical as you want. It isnt going to solve anything

The housing crisis is Europe wide, there aren’t many places that are suitable to deal with this level of refugees

I didn’t decide, I axed you a question. Did you spot the question mark? You’re the man who likes asking questions right? How about you answer one?

Where do you suggest the people fleeing war stay if we don’t accept them?

When they arrive and apply for asylum and we tell no sorry kid Esteban says we’re full up, what then? Round them up and ship them back to Ukraine? What’s your strategy? Presume you have some joined up thinking ready to go here?

You made up this post from start to finish but il give it a like anyway

1 Like

We’re gonna get full up you stupid cunt. You’ve threw out a glib ask mr Putin to slow down comment trying to look clever a few times. This isnt going to slow down. Having an open door yerra fuck them in tents policy is not sustainable in any way shape or form. It will get worse. Not having any strategy at all will magnify the problems here. It will get worse here.

Slowing down now, getting controls in place and making it sustainable will benefit everyone in the long run, but you dont care about any of that do you ? You want to look good now

Wrong. At least you’re consistent.

EU hypocrites

Bet anything @estebandaface sooner or later moves on to the narrative that Europe should drop sanctions on Russia because “why should we suffer?”

The Russians are flaunting their collaboration with the Nazis now. That’s the way it’s going.

This is coming more from a base of local involvement and what I see rather than any specific national issues or plans. We have a parish of about 1,000 people. There are over 300 Ukrainians now after moving into the area.

Our school, which has about 100 kids, has about 30 Ukrainian kids in it since last March/April. Other local primary schools have also taken some in. This would be a case of 3 to 5 added to each class. I havent seen any particular issues with it so far. I have never heard of a waiting list for a rural school, quite the opposite really. One local school to here only has 1 pupil starting this year and declining population is a real issue.

A local link bus service has increased its service in the area. I’m assuming this has been government funded. Buses run twice daily to the 3 neighbouring towns/city within about 30 minutes drive from here. Some of the Ukrainians have managed to bring their cars over with them and others have pooled together to get second hand Irish cars for cheap prices and some locals have helped with this for offering lifts or selling on an old car for not much. Its not exactly ideal, but it works. We have also arranged buses to bring kids to GAA trainings which is a novelty for them, but we had 30 Ukrainian kids at Cul camp last week, and would have been more only for a swimming and a horse riding camp was on the same week, so some did those.

They have set up English workshop classes in the community set up here. Long term it needs to be better and as you say an education support set up, but some of the people I know who would have had no English when they first came can get by with reasonable amounts of English now.

Can’t speak about any particular mental health needs that we cant cater for, I dont know that they do nor do I know of any particular cases. The local GP has had some people in, but she was saying to me it hasnt been massively over burdened as a lot of the people who have come over have been middle aged mothers and young kids, so hasnt had any major impact on them there.

This is the first humanitarian crisis within our continent that would impact on us more so than other ones in the middle east or Africa. Its also a bit of whataboutery, but you know that too.

It is an emergency. There is no doubting that the government havent a long term solution sorted, but the people themselves dont know either. Many I spoke to want to go back home, and some dont know if they ever can again. Its an entirely unknown situation, and I suspect many will stay and many will also go home when they can.

We cant exactly wait on the infrastructure to be ready in an emergency situation that Ireland had no part in. You are right, the infrastructure should be in place in an ideal world. In an ideal workd they wouldnt need to leave their country in such haste either.

Thats a failing on the government and I know the vast majority of people I have met here want to contribute and work. Paperwork for medical cards and registration for tax etc takes months and is really hindering them. But they are appreciative of everything they are getting. The community here had a big barbeque on Sunday where they invited volunteers and people who have been helping them out to have a day with them. lots of Ukrainian food and people mixing. It was great to see the kids being able to have fun and enjoy themselves after being uprooted and shunted around through no fault of theirs.

Its making the best of a shit situation and there is no doubt the government dont have all the answers, but a lot of the accommodation issues arising are not drastically affecting the housing crisis. Their accommodation is not part of rental properties otherwise used. The college accommodation set up seems fucked up alright and a lot of people are going to be discommoded by that, but our student population cant be adversely affected so its up to the government to solve this. Tents or community hall set ups should be absolute last resort as a stop gap measure.

14 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to put together a reasoned response. I’ll give it the time it deserves later and respond

I’ve a feeling the next week is going to be bad for Ukraine :slightly_frowning_face:

Of course.

Nobody has argued otherwise.

I don’t think it’s wrong to question how the Government lacks basic planning to house & integrate Ukrainians coming into the Country though.

There are plenty of buildings throughout the Country that could house Irish & Ukrainians but our idiot government are making no plan whatsoever to use this accommodation.

By upgrading these units work can be provided and we can start offering quality Housing options to those who might seriously consider downsizing thus opening up bigger units to those upsizing.

You seem quick to fly off the handle kid

2 Likes