Russia Vs Ukraine (Part 1)

Disgusting thing to say.

Of course it means nothing. The UN isn’t an independent actor that can do anything, it’s a group of countries. Suggesting “the UN step in” just shows up the complete lack of understanding of what he’s even trying to say.

Hopefully youll recover quicky. All the best

3 Likes

We need to recall Putin’s speech in 2014 on annexation of Crimea. It was about what an important military spot it was for the region and that only Russia (given Ukrainian unrest) could keep it strong.

The UN was never going to sort something like this, sadly.

do you ever tire of being wrong ?

When dealing with crises, the Council, guided by the UN Charter, the Security Council can take several steps.

Acting under Chapter VI of the Charter, the Council can call upon parties to a dispute to settle it by peaceful means and recommend methods of adjustment or terms of settlement. It can also recommend the referral of disputes to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which is widely known as the ‘World Court’ and is the principal judicial organ of the United Nations, seated at The Hague in the Netherlands.

In some cases, the Security Council may act under Chapter VII of the Charter and resort to imposing sanctions or can even authorize, as a last resort, when peaceful means of settling a dispute are exhausted, the use of force, by Member States, coalitions of Member States or UN-authorized peace operations to maintain or restore international peace and security.

Importantly, the action required to carry out the decisions of the Security Council for the maintenance of international peace and security shall be taken by all the Members of the United Nations or by some of them, as the Security Council may determine pursuant to Chapter VII.

Fuck Sid. That sounds horrendous. Mind yourself fella.

2 Likes

Blowing up the Nordstream pipeline was an interesting development.

A massive victory for the mental net zero agenda.

The question is, who blew it up…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/10/6/initial-probe-of-nord-stream-gas-leaks-points-to-sabotage-sweden

I’ve done a fair bit of online searches into this disputed area pre 2014 and it just doesn’t seem to be a problem then.

Why did this flare up so badly in 2014?

An interesting piece of info from something I read,

• September 2, 2014
    • In a conversation with European Commission Pres. José Manuel Barroso, Putin declares, “If I wanted to, I could take Kiev in two weeks.” Kremlin officials criticize Barroso for disclosing the remark but do not deny that Putin said it, stating instead that it was taken out of context.

I’d be interested in what you make of the information linked here.
I know you feel that Russian leaning Ukrainians in Eastern Ukraine have been poorly treated but I can’t help but see Russian influence in the whole movement there.
It is not easy to find accounts of such violent clashes or movements before 2014.

the pro Russian government was overthrown - it’s been said 100’s of times…

American imperialism.

West losing influence causes Putins invasion?

Who said that?

You Got It Ok GIF

1 Like

They appeared to live in peace pre 2014 mate.

Yanukovych was impeached by the Ukrainian parliament on a 328-0 vote. Little wonder after he sent in the heavies to murder peaceful Ukrainian protestors.

There are lads here who seem to believe in an absolute monarch’s right to rule absolutely.

Until the pro Russian government was violently overthrown… what aren’t you getting here?

How many innocent russian civilians were murdered since 2014 in the Donbas?

That is an easy question for you.

Best of luck Sid with your recovery. Cant be going too badly if you are back here argueing.

2 Likes

What percentage of the Countries population was located in these areas?

Does democracy just become irrelevant when it’s Anti Russian?

There are many documented accounts of Russian interference in Eastern Ukraine once it appeared the Country was slipping towards the EU in leanings.

Russia has destabilised the Country, that is indisputable.

How many Ukrainians?

Pro Russian civilians lived in peace there before Russian interference in 2013/14