Russia Vs Ukraine (Part 2) - Neocons Strike Back

Dunno mate. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll find somewhere for them. What do you reckon yourself?

Thats not what Roderick, who supposedly manages it, says mate. He said during the week we are now at breaking point. Then Leo did what you just did and said its fine, weā€™ll manage. But then Leo has zero to do with the management of it.

Iā€™d probably set a limit to how many refugees we can take and actually find accommodation for.

Varadkarā€™s message was to those planning to come here.

At this point, it makes far more sense for Ireland to provide short term financial support to countries in the immediate vicinity of Ukraine for the ā€œemergencyā€ element of accommodation than for people to come here and to sleep on the floor of the old Dublin Airport.

Ireland can scale up other resources for medium term solutions like modular housing and take more in then.

Varadkar said itā€™s like the rest of Europe but numbers from early in the summer showed Ireland had more per capita than other country in Western Europe with the exception of Luxembourg.

It isnā€™t going to help Eastern Europe for Ireland to be concentrating resources on more hotels at this point. We need to upscale modular housing asap to provide proper medium term solutions.

I think Modular housing isnā€™t great bang for buck when there is a huge amount of vacant Buildings throughout the Country that could be regenerated first.

It could boost towns & villages around the country.

Fair enough, either or would be great.

Iā€™d seriously question Irelandā€™s capacity to scale up either building modular housing or regenerating old buildings. We probably should have done that by now if there was capacity there as weā€™ve had a housing problem for a while now.

You have to remember that FG policy to fix the housing market was more of let the market fix it, which has shifted a tiny bit but not massively under FF.

Itā€™s the reason why I wonā€™t be voting for them in the next GE.

1 Like

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a number you can set a limit at because we should be increasing capacity all the time. You also do have people moving out of emergency accommodation. You canā€™t block refugees from coming here, thatā€™s a basic principle you have to accept, itā€™s international law. I donā€™t think our reception facilities will be ideal, but Iā€™ve visited refugee camps and Iā€™m sure whatever we pull together will be better than what Iā€™ve seen. And it will also be better than bombs falling on peopleā€™s heads or the Russian armyā€™s raping and pillaging.

FG were in charge of gov policy on housing for ten years. The crisis weā€™re in now was flagged from a long way out. Theyā€™re substantially responsible for it in my view.

Youā€™re living in cuckoo land so.

How do you propose to stop people coming here? How or where are you going to intercept them? If they arrive are you going to deport them back to Ukraine? Iā€™m the one being realistic here. We will have to find space and pissing and moaning about it wonā€™t change that.

We will have to find space for them

Can you flesh that part out a bit?

There is no capacity on compassion

Now take your kids and sleep on that cold airport floor and take my compassion with you

I donā€™t have an answer to that immediately mate. We need to start on the modular homes asap and in the immediate term Iā€™d be looking at defence forces accommodation anywhere or their buildings that can be converted and Garda siochana accommodation in temple mor. Iā€™ll be scoffed at for this but tents will work too (there are tents designed for this purpose). Not ideal but this is the reality were facing, itā€™s an emergency.

Again. What are your other options? How or where are you going to intercept people from coming here?

ā€œCompassionā€. Coming from you. Christ above.

Ireland suspends visa-free travel for refugees from 20 European countries.

Ireland has banned refugees to prioritise Ukranian ones

There are plenty other emergencies in the world and the EU havenā€™t mandated temporary protection

I have the exact same amount as you except i donā€™t use it to signal virtue.

Youā€™ve done fuck all for Ukranians bar piss and moan about theres no upper limit, do you think that makes you a super hero

2 Likes