Saorview

Anyone got this yet?

What is it retailing at and is it enabled to tune in the likes of BBC and other freeview channels?

It’s a different technology to freeview so not compatible.

I see, so basically you’ll only get the Irish channels with it?

Correct Totti.

bought a set top box today and rigged this up on an old telly for the parents today. Took the signal through the rabbits ears. Given that they only watch Teilifis Eireann anyway this was a marvellous advance. Super quality picture. The folks will watch the rolling news channel 24/7. Weak enough channel line up but apparently more will be added.

Any idea what channels will be added mate?

Will it be more pointless RTE derivative stations or will they find a way to get free to air English stations on it?

There are no plans to add the English stations as far as I know. It’s not really a replacement for people who have cable - more targetted at those in 4 channel land for the moment.

The auld lad has this and it has all the English stations, along with some dubious channels which he managed to delete. We reinstalled the box and got them back but he deleted them again.

I’m guessing he has Freeview and you’re picking up the English stations because you’re on the eastern seaboard. You can’t get the Irish channels and the English channels on the same free platform.

I’d imagine it will be more pointless derivative Irish channels. The market segment they are targeting here is tiny - approximately 250,000 people so there’ll be no money to spend on this. It won’t be unlike our pointless dab radio platfoem.

This thing has about 60 channels none of them Irish so maybe it’s something completely different.

Any views on Saorview connect? Could it be a gamechanger?

Can you get the free to air UK channels on it?

Saorview Connect slow enough starting up. Record facility available now. Only one type of box available as far as I can see. Some info below. Might be a nice little Christmas present for the old folks.

You’ll need a Saorview aerial, sat dish with a dual LNB and ideally an Ethernet cable to your broadband modem. The box also needs an external USB drive for the recordings. Ideally 500GB.

https://www.saorview.ie/en/

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/broadband-phone/what-is-saorview-connect/

https://www.did.ie/powerpoint-saorview-connect-box-black-dxd7025svc-dxd7025svc-prd

https://www.saorview.ie/downloads/SV_Instruction_Guide_Record_Update_03.pdf

Does this saorview need to be connected to broadband folks or is it only the ‘saorview connect’ version (that can record) as opposed to bog standard saorview which is viewable only? I’m thinking of getting it for the folks as I got them an IPTV sub on a firestick with a million channels but no matter what we try the broadband isn’t good enough in the kitchen to run it and it’s stop/start and freezing non stop, I’ve brought in those TP links to try boost it but nothing works. I want the bog standard channels on their bog standard tv but if it’s to be connected to broadband again then we are back to square one with poor connectivity issues.

Nah you don’t need broadband just for Saorview.

(Which TP Links did you get? You need Mesh WiFi really - so Deco by TP Link. Not the “standard boosters”)

Deco is class, backhauled off power sockets rather than wifi.

2 Likes

I have standard TP links for the parents at home whereby you plug one into the modem box with a cable in one room (modem box is in sitting room) and then the second TP link is plugged into the wall in the room you want better signal in (in this case the kitchen where I have their IPTV stick). Its plugged into the wall behind the TV with the fire stick, these are only one room apart but they don’t seem to provide any boost at all. I reckon these cost something like €25. I might go and get that mesh deco thing so if you think it’ll do the job and therefore I won’t need to buy a saorview system. The firestick IPTV sub has everything they need including international channels plus movies.

The reality is that anything that behaves like that they will just turn it off as soon as you go out the door. I’ve seen it a hundred times.

I’m a bit embarrassed by my Saorview Connect post above, as at the time it was new, but in reality the Saorview Connect hasn’t worked out at all. The boxes being poor quality is the main problem. Loads on Boards about it if you want a long read.

The best system for the older folks I’m convinced is standard Saorview with a Freesat dish pointing at 28 East. That gives you all the free Irish and English channels, which is more than enough for most people. A local installer will put up an aerial and dish cheaply enough and will know what works in your area. It’s a good stable system.

You’ll need a combo box of course. You get what you pay for. What you go for here depends on whether you want to be able to record or not. Or record on one channel and watch another. Normally a recording box with a single Saorview tuner and a twin-sat tuner is a good and basic option.

I’ll be glad to help if you have any more questions.

3 Likes

We posted at the same time @Smark. How old is the house and how thick are the walls?