Second Captains

My auld boy was in the up and down seats while your Dad was off elsewhere. We left at half time of the Meath match. Same as you, first time to see a championship football match in the flesh. Can count on one hand the others I’ve been to :grimacing:

1 Like

Couldn’t have put it better myself, he emptied himself.

An incredible interview. I listened to it twice this morning.

Seán Moran noted this in his preview of the 1990 All-Ireland V Cork but presciently added that his midfield opponent too often gets man-of-the-match. Cue Shea Fahy and 0-4 from play the next day.

His game was all about going forward, but then that was how it was back then. Few midfielders went backwards with any great gusto. Some would hold alright, but for the most part they were fetchers and auxiliary attackers. A trot back under the crossbar for a 45 was as much as any really did.

1 Like

The Down midfield of Barry Breen and Eamonn Burns chipped in with a crucial 1-2 in the 1991 final. Hayes himself notched 1-1 in response.

2 Likes

McEntee was supposed to be the dog and hatchet man in midfield. Maybe it was the game he was sent off in.

Haven’t listened to the interview but always thought there was a bit of the tin roofer and poetic licence taken by Hayes in some of his articles and comments. Seem to recall him clashing with ex Meath players in recent years over comments he made.

McEntee was sent off in the 1988 replay against Cork. As a pundit Hayes was rubbish. He used to write articles for the Sunday Tribune around 2007. I’m sure I recall one article where he claimed the Kerry team of 2007 was the worst Kerry team he’d ever seen based off their one point victory over Monaghan in the All-Ireland quarter-final. He predicted Dublin would beat them by eight points. He stuck up for Michelle Smith too. So he had a propensity for terrible hot takes. As a person talking about his own life and career however, he’s one of the most interesting GAA figures there has been.

2 Likes

Yeah I should probably listen to the interview

His father was one of Carlows great footballers. Played in a National League Final for them.

1 Like

He was always odd. His last act for Meath was clocking the then 18 year old LC student Hughie Emerson for a straight red.

I’d forgotten that! Tipp before that I think.

Hayes managed Carlow for a year or two I think? Some time in the 2000s? I’ve a vague notion that it didn’t go particularly well on the whole but they did pull out an unexpected qualifier victory over Offaly?

Some honour. Who was the other one?

A classic “Laois” performance that. Followed up by another classic “Laois” performance.

1 Like

I have memory of an article LH wrote near on 30 years ago about Dublin /Meath rivalry. He made reference to a comment Tommy Carr made that LH would be the least popular of the Meath players among the Dubs and he followed on that TC would have similar status among the Meath players.

Is there a link for Hayes interview

Second captains patreon

1 Like

Jimma Rea and Peenie Whelan.

Is Sadlier with Second Captains now?

It’s like there is no quota of cunts with them cunts.

Been doing podcasts for them for a couple years now.