Second Captains

2 Likes

He played the 2007 County Final and i do recall Nicky Brennan making a jibe at him on air in 2008 when he was sent off for Milltown.

I wonder did he leave long after that? Off the Ball at the time wasnt conducive to Club training in fairness.

He’s actually a very decent footballer. Big long string of a lad but a sweet left peg. Think he played for Vincent’s too.

1 Like

I always got that impression.

Only for his work he’d surely have played more for Galway.

Dont think he played much first team for Vincents? Maybe around 2011/2012?

One of the lovely occasional features of Second Captains is when Ken Early reminds Ciaran Murphy of the 2007 Galway SFC final between Killererin and Milltown, in which Murphy played for Milltown. The game was broadcast live on TG4. Early loves to prod Murphy on his performance, or more to the point non-performance, because Murphy was apparently stone useless. Murphy audibly bristles when it’s brought up and thus Early loves to bring it up. Milltown lost and have not reached another Galway SFC final since.

I think Murph has mentioned on occasion that his good wife is a northern Prod from Tyrone who knows absolutely nothing about the GAA.

Longest serving senior football team in Galway according to an auld fella who I was chatting to while waiting for a pint in The Big Tree after last years All-Ireland final.

Nothing wrong with that

You’d have to seriously respect the credentials of any southern Romish culchie who can win the heart of a Tyrone Protestant woman.

Nobody grows up wanting to marry a Tyrone Prod.

1 Like

I was there. Murph missed about 3 absolute gimme frees in front of the town end in the first half. I think they took him off them after. I think he transferred clubs (Parnells?) not long after.

Forbidden fruit is sweeter

Ya, I’d well believe that. Serious football tradition there.

Struggling a bit at the moment due to their close proximity to county Mayo.

I’d imagine it isn’t the biggest pick they’d have either.

Tuam & who else would be surrounding them?

Thought Murph played for a number of years with Templeogue Synge St.

No, it’s a small enough village. There would be a few houses out in the rural hinterland. But they’re definitely a very rural club. Similar to the neighboring Dunmore McHales, another prestigious name in Galway football, rural depopulation has affected them. Although Dunmore won the intermediate title last year. The likes of Corofin have a huge pick as there’s loads of employment about 20 minutes away in the east of Galway City. It’s no coincidence that the County team is now primarily made up of lads from clubs within a commuting distance to Galway City. Even the famous Tuam Stars, like the town they’re based in, have struggled in recent decades. Employment and access to it is vital.

1 Like

Milltown lasting at Senior so long is a serious achievement.

From just driving through the village it would amaze you that they’d stayed at that level.

To answer your question. Their neighboring clubs would be Kilconly, Dunmore McHales, Tuam and Cortoon wouldn’t be a million miles away either. The legendary Sylane hurling club is over the road as well. Probably the closest club to them though is Davitt’s of Mayo. Who are senior in Mayo. I believe they play each other in challenge matches a bit.

1 Like

Going by this thread, he’s lined out for half the clubs in Dublin at this stage

6 Likes

Would definitely be good going.

The relative ‘demise’ of the legendary St Jarlath’s in Tuam can’t have helped either. Pres Athenry beating St Jarlath’s last week is a bit of an eye opener. I’d like to see Athenry stick to the hurling ffs.