Second Captains

Correct. Still playing at junior level for them. Think he helped them win a county last year or the year before. He’s nearly 40 still playing ball and living the dream.

Lads | hoppin | sausages

1 Like

It used to be gas when they did that “Egomaniacs” slot on Second Captains and every time it was just people writing in stories of Murph being a wanker

2 Likes

It was an excellent listen, free to all. If you were half the people his parents are you’d be happy.

2 Likes

Seen them on Virgin 1 the other night.An awful thing to happen to any family.Very strange that there was no note or even any sign of him taking his life.

I know, nothing. He wasn’t even in himself.

Must be a terrible shock to get, they’ll never get over it

It’s Incredibly sad. I Just listened to it. It just seems so odd. What could possibly have triggered it?

They touched on a good point about faith and its importance even if religion isn’t your thing. That was one of the things I took away from it.

Its difficult to understand these things, and I have no basis whatsoever really, but my own feeling is our young adults, teens, etc nowadays arent built to handle adversity, whatever form it comes in. A faith in the past would always have been inbuilt into most, but that of course isnt there to the same extent it once was, so that fallback simply isnt there anymore. Suicide has crept into modern day life also in such a way, thats it hardly raises an eyebrow to the extent it used to. Combine both, and sometimes a snap decision can be made without realising the true consequence, can be made simply because there was no alternative seen or felt.

Throw in social media, and its dangerous cocktail. I’m not sure what the solution is. As a parent you want to protect your child from all adversity, but adversity breeds strength and grows character. Perhaps we’re doing them a disservice. Pressure makes the diamond.

In truth, I have no idea really, but having seen it up close its a horrible horrible thing and I fucking hate it and struggle to forgive it.

1 Like

Inundated with information, overly precious parenting, entitlement, rise in consumerism, wealth… It’s a mixed bag. Most of us had humble enough childhoods in pre Celtic tiger and pre internet Ireland. It’s a minefield now.

4 Likes

You could spend the rest of your life wondering about why some people do it. A lot of the people who do it don’t know themselves why they’re doing it.

There are forums online dedicated to suicide, ie. where people who want to commit suicide pass tips on how to do it and tell others why they want to do it. A lot of the time people’s stated “reasons” are absolute bullshit.

A lot of the time people don’t realise they don’t have real problems. I have a real problem now. I used to think before I had real problems and I now realise those problems were not real problems, they were excuses. I’d love to have these fake problems back.

In my view some people don’t know enough about life and that’s why they do it. Their frames of reference are too narrow. Some people know too much and that’s why they do it. Some people know too little and too much. In my view some people have legitimate reasons for doing it, and most don’t. And plenty who would have legitimate reasons for doing it wouldn’t dream of it.

I’m on a Facebook forum for people have retinal detachment. There are loads of American posters who bring up God a lot on it. These people irritate me. Yet in some ways I think they’re right. But at the same time they’re deluding themselves. But maybe sometimes you have to delude yourself to stay sane. I thought I had learned years ago not to delude myself. But then when I was hit with a real problem, I realised I had been deluding myself that I had problems. And then when you get hit with a real problem, you’re totally ill equipped. So maybe positive delusion is a philosophy for life. Negative delusion is a recipe for suicide.

I remember at college we touched on Emile Durkheim’s theories of suicide. One that sort of stuck with me was “anomic suicide”. Basically it can mean fear of the future, or a hopeless aimlessness.

Anomic suicide reflects an individual’s moral confusion and lack of social direction, which is related to dramatic social and economic upheaval.[6] It is the product of moral deregulation and a lack of definition of legitimate aspirations through a restraining social ethic, which could impose meaning and order on the individual conscience. This is symptomatic of a failure of economic development and division of labour to produce Durkheim’s organic solidarity. People do not know where they fit within their societies. Durkheim explains that this is a state of moral disorder where people do not know the limits on their desires and are constantly in a state of disappointment. This can occur when they go through extreme changes in wealth; while this includes economic ruin, it can also include windfall gains—in both cases, previous expectations from life are brushed aside and new expectations are needed before they can judge their new situation in relation to the new limits.

And yet in a few months or years you might look back to now and acknowledge that this isn’t as bad as you think.

1 Like

I might or I might not. I’ve always been aimless and a drifter without the drifting, if that makes sense. But then you realise you weren’t genuinely aimless or genuinely drifting at all, you had a whole framework which regulated your life and gave you hope, little things which were actually really big things. The removal of that framework and the removal of hope is the killer. Once you remove hope, a person’s whole framework of being collapses.

Faith if you use it wisely at least tends to promote hope. I’m not a person of faith so go figure.

1 Like

I’ve read a decent bit of Durkheim. I think I may have mentioned ‘anomie’ here before. I think he’s relevant again today. He was talking about huge shifts in society (much moreso than we’ve had in the past 20/30 years) brought on by the dual advent of industrialisation/ urbanisation. Social organisation fundamentally changed during this period of times, and those who felt they didn’t fit in felt a sense of loss or hopelessness with modern society. It’s fascinating stuff, in a way. Also, fair fucks to anybody willing to do an academic study on suicide in France in late 19th century

Social media and the internet is an utterly massive change in the organisation of society.

It’s a very dangerous toy in the hands of people who are ill equipped to use it - which is most people and promotes the idea of constant instant gratification, which is not what life is supposed to be. And it’s even dangerous for people who are equipped to use it. It’s turning life into one big atomised performative pantomime.

Everybody is becoming angry now, which means everybody is unhappy.

It’s Hobbes’ war of all against all.

I was at that final, and yes he was useless. Little wonder he’s so in awe of Joyce given he got to see a master at work that day.

I listened to brolly and Dion fanning there. Never again. They’ll attract the loons no doubt.

Give us a brief synopsis there.

1 Like

Is it not Brolly and Ken Early? Haven’t listened yet but that’s how they advertised it on yesterdays pod.

It was Dion fanning and brolly.

1 Like