Seeking members for the Limerick Chippers Social Group

AS it makes its move into Northern Ireland, Supermac’s has had to keep some particular culinary preferences in mind.

“They like thicker chips up there,” according to McDonagh, who also says that breakfast rolls are a hit and likely to feature alongside the traditional burger fare.

“You have to respect the differences.”

It won’t be the first time the chain has adapted the menu to suit local tastes. Take Kerry, for example.

"One of the things they like there is chicken stuffing."

It’s on the Supermac’s menu in the Kingdom, but you won’t find it elsewhere.

Dump her Julio

I told her Glas, but there’s no talking to her. She learned the hard way anyway, looked rotten.

Is that where Slattery’s used to be? Was a great chipper.

I think so ya. I went up there seeking slattery’s as I’d heard great things. But only found this place. What happened the slattery’s place?

I was in a place on Fr Russell Road lately, it was Italian run but not sure of the name of the place. Anyone have it? Near enough Russell’s bar so it was. Lovely fluffy chips in there.

I think that place used to be Slattery’s as well.

Donkey Fords Oct 2015

Food Quality:
I only purchased chips on this occassion and they were very good. The same high quality chips which we’ve come to expect. 5/5

Value for Money: Top marks as usual. I think a big portion of chips was only €2.20. 5/5

Staff Apraisal: No nonsense, get them in and get them out, but at the same time very pleasent. One mark docked for the lack a proper “shake” (see below) 4/5

Efficency of Service. The queue was out the door when I arrived but I’d say I was leaving with my chips in under 10 minutes 5/5

Facilities: n/a

The shake: The critical “shake” was unfortunately a bit disappointing on this occassion resulting in the bottom half of the chips having virtually no salt or vinegar. 2.5/5

Overall; Still the undisputed king, though disappointing that the girl serving me hadn’t mastered (or wasn’t bothered) about the shake. 4/5

3 Likes

Don’t know, closed down about 4 years ago. Probably lost a lot of business when Clohessy’s closed.

What time of the day was it? They’d normally keep the queue moving fairly well.

I see convicted sex offender Phil Taylor was in there lately. But in Donkey Ford’s defence they wouldn’t have had a notion who he was.

I think the same crowd that own Alfies opened the chipper.

Late evening but a sporting event in the vicinity had just concluded.

Thicker chips to put on our shoulders.

4 Likes

Should have stuck to cooking the chips instead of the books.

Fairly amateurish fraud there, it’s not that fucking hard in a cash business

Donkey’s

I brought the other half to Donkey’s for the first time last night. I’ve been threatening to bring her for ages and we were in the vicinity last night so took the plunge.

Food Quality:
Homemade chips were only alright, we didn’t eat them on the spot so they had gone a bit stale. Battered sausage & fish were top notch. 4/5

Value for Money: Unreal. €8.50 for 2 battered sausages, two chips and a fish 5/5

Staff Apraisal: Didn’t get a great amount of salt & vinegar. They were so efficient (see below) that I wasn’t really paying attention and I never got to ask for my standard “loads of salt & vinegar”. Not a big deal, as we were heading home with them anyway, but they taste better if they’ve been soaking in em. 4/5

Efficiency of Service. I wasn’t in their two minutes I’d say, unreal. 5/5

Facilities: :joy: N/A

Overall; My missus was disappointed enough with it as I’d bigged it up so much. But that was as much my fault as theirs, should have ate them on the spot. Rookie stuff really. She reckons Luigi’s is still her number one. 4/5

1 Like

You’ll have to get her to present her findings at the Christmas GM, pal.

I’ll get her to do an article for publication in the TFKLCSG Christmas Journal.

The Limerick Chipper Scene an Outsiders Perspective

Have you put on a few pounds since you moved back to the homeland mate?