Serie A 17/18

Callejon looks to have picked up an injury. He’d be a big loss for Napoli.

HT 0-0.

The pragmatists will be happy at how they’ve negated Napoli. One goal will decide this you’d imagine.

Vecino nearly scores a magical goal, Albiol clears off the line.

@mickee321

Torino boss Sinisa Mihajlovic claimed not to know who Anne Frank was after Lazio ultras used her as a subject for anti-Semitic slurs.

Lazio fans left images of Frank in a Roma kit and anti-Semitic messages in the Curva Sud after the Aquile’s 3-0 win against Cagliari over the weekend, but Mihajlovic – who played for the capital club between 1998 and 2004 – was unable to condemn the attack.

“Lazio fans attacked Anne Frank with Roma’s jersey? I don’t know what happened, but who is Anne Frank?” the Coach said at a Press conference for Wednesday’s game against Fiorentina.

this is brilliant stuff in fairness
ive no idea what anne frank encountered hiding in that locked up room but…she’s got nothing on this man

A week later Zvezda played Hajduk Split in the Yugoslav cup final. Hajduk won 1-0 but the game was at least as notable for the clash between Mihajlovic and Igor Stimac, now the coach of Croatia. “In one moment we were face to face,” Mihajlovic later revealed. “He leaned to me and said, his voice full of hatred, ‘I pray to God your whole family in Borovo gets murdered!’ At that moment I could have killed him with my teeth…” Mihajlovic made a series of bad fouls on Stimac and in the end both were sent off. Stimac and he have been sworn enemies ever since. “Here is a man who spread lies about me, such as that I was gay; he also said he could strangle me with his bare hands,” Stimac said. “But his mother is Croatian, his wife Italian, he married and baptised his children in a Catholic [as opposed to Serb Orthodox] church. I realise he has to try twice as hard as anyone else there to prove his allegiance to Serbia – but they will never accept him, no matter how much he carries Arkan’s picture around.”

1 Like

That is some tale ok .

Another 1-0 victory for Roma at the weekend, our third on the trot in Serie A and our 4th in total. We are keeping pace with the leaders, currently 7 behind but with a game in hand, a tricky away trip to Sampdoria. We have the best defensive record in Serie A but seem to be struggling for goals.

Huge couple of games coming up now before the international break, we have Chelsea at home tomorrow then Fiorentina away at the weekend. I’d happily take a point tomorrow, it would leave us on 6 and a home game against Qarabag would take us to 9. Atletico’s best case scenario would be 8 points heading into the final round of games which would likely require them chasing a win in London.

The pace being set in Serie A this season is frightening, Napoli have dropped just two points, Inter just four points and Juve and Lazio just 5 points with Roma just 6. Roma do have that game in hand so are still a bit further behind. Juve still have to meet Napoli and Inter yet.

Roma’s only dropped points are to the to the top 2 (Inter and Napoli)
Napoli’s only dropped points are to Inter.
2 of Inter’s 4 dropped points are to Napoli.
3 of Juve’s dopped 5 points are to Lazio.
3 of Lazios dropped 5 points are to Napoli

The league looks like it could be decided on a little mini leaugue between the sides. I do see Lazio falling away at some stage but they’ve been the revelation this season for me, they lost some very important players in the summer in Biglia, Keita and Hoedt and didn’t really replace them - instead they opted to go with other squad options and they’ve also had Felipe Anderson out for some time. They are top of their Europa League group too despite a lot of rotation. Simone Inzaghi is doing a wonderful job.

Roma and Inter have the trickiest matches before the international break with Inter at home to Torino and Roma away in Florence. The other three would be expected to win theirs.

Juve are ominously very close by after an indifferent start to the season. It looks like for the first time in years we have a real title race.

1 Like

Simone Verdi scored a brace of free kicks last night, one with his left, one with his right.

First time this was recorded as happening in a Serie A game I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXuKmpwcHF8&t=85s

1 Like

Inter trailing Torino here at the San Siro with a little over 20 minutes remaining. This would be a big blow for them.

Eder levels up.

Vecino desperately unlucky as his drive crashes off the bar.

Juve 2 down away in Genoa to Sampdoria.

Giampaolo doing a very good job with Samp.

3 now

Very tough to write off Juve but they seem to be a bit of a lull this season, it’s happened them in previous seasons but I think the fact that teams closest to them have improved and this means they’re not getting away with it as well as they used to. They have a few massive games coming up now shortly - Napoli, Inter and Roma all coming up in December.

Two goals back for Juve in injury time.

3-2

Napoli Juve now guys. It could be epic.

Cracking start to this guys. Looks like there will be loads of goals.

Pipita puts Juve 1 up.

Higuain 1-0. Lovely by Dybala in the build up

Gonzalo opens the scoring

Juve look devastating on the break.