Shit that makes you feel old

If I had 6 I’d always slip 2 panadol and some electrolytes before I go to bed and it would certainly help the next day. Yes I am a pussy.

2 Likes

Ohhhhh buachaill dana

1 Like

God almighty

Guinness shits after 2 pints of Guinness.

Anyone over 4O ref boozing is madness
Pints as a young man is easy to get over
Hit 35 and especially those with young kids it’s bloody hard.
The thought of a hangover again keeps me well away

2 Likes

There’s some amount of owl wans in this thread.

1 Like

Did she only become an adult at 22?

1 Like

That’s what she said herself.

1 Like

Hopefully she never becomes Minister for Sums.

2 Likes

Still and all it will be good test for the Diversity and Inclusion agenda to see how she gets on. If she makes a go of the SocDems it will open up opportunities for other young female candidates to lead political parties.

She could be one of those women for whom every day is the last day of their 20s.

That’s the way it’s gone these days

The word “Sums” always brings to mind for me some oul’ fella of old Limerick rugby stock who is probably now dead, who once told me a story about the legendary Tom Clifford. This was on a train from Cheltenham to Cardiff as the train leisurely made its way along the banks of the Severn before it reached the estuary, the morning of the 2008 Heineken Cup final.

The man was well spoken, more a doctor than a docker. I was on the window seat facing backwards on the Severn side of the carriage (the Severn was to my right), and he was on the aisle seat directly facing my father, who was waffling on to this man about the criss cross try in 1964 and a try by Alan Duggan against Wales in 1970 and Lions tours in the 1950s and any other manner of old timer things. There were people standing in the aisle and they were listening in, while my brother sat facing me, bored and unable to understand any of the reference points being mentioned in the conversation.

I can’t remember the story in full or reliably, but I think it went something like this: Clifford was at a post match do when he was an international player, possibly after an away game against England. The way yer man set up the story was that the rest of the players were all at the dinner table talking about their careers as engineers or doctors or solicitors or whatever they did in the professions, and that wives and girlfriends were at the dinner table too and that the whole atmosphere was very genteel, very alickadoo, very Etonian.

In this atmosphere Clifford was out of place, but didn’t care and proceeded to down about three dinners’ worth of food with enough drink to match. Some English lady, possibly the wife of the RFU president or some such, came around the table to meet and greet those at the Irish table. The rest of the players told Mrs. RFU about their careers in the professions or how they were medical students or whatever and Mrs. RFU was tremendously impressed with all these fine young men and their partners, and then she came to Clifford, who was without a partner, and the way yer man told it, it was like Clifford was like that Pat Short character in Father Ted, “dee ye want me to run’ 'em over with me van, Fathers”.

“What do you do, Sir?”, Mrs RFU asked. "Did you ever study anything?” “I did indeed, Mrs.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful, what did you study?"

“Sums”, slabbers Clifford. “Fucking Sums.”

Then Clifford storms off Jimmy Sloyan style and orders another pint.

That’s probably a very lame story reading it here, but the way yer man teed it up, the way he held the attention of those within earshot, and the way he delivered the punchline, he brought the house down like a professional veteran on the pub story telling circuit.

If you found it a boring story, feel free to call me or him the Severn bore.

8 Likes

Was Tom a maths teacher?

I enjoyed that. Was that the Heineken cup final that Leicster bet munster and Neil Back put his hand in Stringers knickers?

Munster won that one in 2008.

1 Like

Toulouse.

1 Like

As far as I recall part of the joke was that he was not an intellectual and that the height of his academic achievement was long division in Sexton Street or something like this, but the story was told in a fashion that implied that he was a beloved “character”.

I don’t know much about Tom Clifford or his academic background as he played in the 40s and 50s but that story stuck with me and TDH.

1 Like

That’s the 2002 final you’re thinking of. Back in the days when Munster were a really big deal.

1 Like

A big family night in watching a film with the kids used be a treat for them. Now it’s a treat for us.

7 Likes