Shit that makes you feel old

The Princess #2 is starting big school in September.

1 Like

Bergkamp a grandad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4xxQ9AMtb2/?igsh=MWowem01YjhsdXFkZA==

1 Like

The father of the child is the lad United bought from Ajax a few years back that wasn’t able to play kick and rush soccer. ‘Tis no wonder it’s an Arsenal jersey he is wearing.

The paintings/drawings of her family the youngest brings home from school.
Who’s the bald ould lad with the glasses…?

8 Likes

@Fagan_ODowd ?

2 Likes

In two years time, 2026, it will be 30 years since Baddiel, Skinner and Brodie sang of ‘30 years of hurt’ since 1966.

3 Likes

This is the 9th Euro tournament since I watched Euro 88 as a 9 year old kid…

7 Likes

Yer only a gasún!
I ended up in Portiuncula the day before the '88 final, watched it with 2 of my best mates in the hospital ward. I was supposed to meet a girl at a do in Ffrenchs, Monivea the night before but my accident didn’t allow that. They were trying to keep my spirits up telling me I was still in with a chance. Alas no.

7 Likes

I think 1980 was the first one that was on RTE. Fairly sure 1976 wasn’t.

3 Likes

I won’t dispute you. I remember Archie Gemmil scoring in the WC Argentina '78 and the crackly telephone commentary link.

1 Like

1980 is the first I remember. England fans running amok in Turin, I think it was.

Weather was awful. Limerick made the hurling final which was my first time in Croke Park. We had Roscommon neighbours who decorated the locality as they had made the football final. Sadly, we all ended up disappointed.

1 Like

I have fleeting memories of my parents watching the 94 World Cup. The first actual tournament I properly remember was the 98 one.

The 70, 74and 78 World Cups were on RTE.

3 Likes

The Italian police dealt fairly savagely with them. Sent them home with their tea in a mug. The Germans mugged Belgium off in the final. Late goal by Horst Hrubesch defeated the Wilfrid van Moer inspired Belgians.

2 Likes

Horst Hrubesch “ the man they call the monster”

1 Like

I was with a German when Jimmy Magee made that remark (in the 1982 World Cup). I asked did they really call him the Monster and my German acquaintance confirmed that this was indeed the case. In an earlier time you could easily imagine Hrubesch as an SS Camp Commandant.

7 Likes

I was buying a sega megadrive in town at the exact moment when when Gazza flipped it over Colin Henry’s head at Euro 96. I can’t remember even asking for one. My mam and dad were always too good to me tbh.

I associate Gazza with the good times.

10 Likes

Horst Hrubesch

I remember 78 well. I vaguely remember the 1974 final.

1 Like

Van Moer was about 40 wasn’t he?