Shit that makes you feel old

1984 was the greatest euros. France getting their reward as host after 1982.

2 Likes

Your historical anecdotes are as always enlightening, my 1st WC memory was 1982, Argentina lost to Belgium in the opening game, I remember we were only home from Thurles after WD mugged us off in the Munster semi final.

1 Like

That’s right. Think we lost by two after being a good bit behind.

1 Like

There’s grainy camcorder footage of the game on YouTube, watched it a few years ago

1 Like

Lost by a point. Big Joe Mc missed an absolute sitter to level it.

Looking at the game here reminds me…is there anything better than the evening being bright enough to go kick ball on a summer evening after a big tournament game? Another hour a daylight to go.

Extra special if the day was spent on silage or hay with the same to come tomorrow.

You’d miss your teenage years sometimes.

8 Likes

Lost by one if iirc 2-14 to 2-13 Stephen Greene (I think) got their goal to put them two up. We pulled one back (possibly Ollie O’Connor) Frank Murphy was the ref

1 Like

Eddie O’Grady I think his name was started at 13 that day was never seen again

Joe McKenna had a chance for the equalizer in the last minute but made a bollix of it. My father said to me it might have been better for us if that had gone over. I gave him a daggers stare but when we lost to Cork by 31 points in the Munster final I understood what he meant.

4 Likes

Was that the tournament where every one of the Belgium’s was named a van der something or other?

He knew

Sometimes?

1 Like

My tenth, 1984

By God. You’re only a chap.

We’d often choose to accidentally miss the first halves of major finals games in favour of kicking ball on the street.

Czechoslovakia v Costa Rica 1990, Italy v Uruguay 1990, England v West Germany 1990, Brazil v USA 1994, Holland v Denmark 1992, Mexico v Bulgaria 1994 and Brazil v Holland 1994 classics of this genre.

1 Like

24 years married today

18 Likes

Have a great day Mike. Will you spend some of it with herself?

Nah, I’m taking the girlfriend out to lunch

13 Likes

You’d have been out a while at this stage

Congrats thou. She’s a great woman

1 Like

You should dander down to cafe en seine and smash the windows

1 Like