Should Gerry Adams stay on as Leader of Sinn Fein?

There generally is no problem , none more than any other party— they are stressing openness and pressing people to report anything they might not agree with or think the party can do differently. The few senior lads I’ve spoke to are shocked by some of the revelations and where reports of bullying have come out generally is where certain people have let ego get in the way and feel they are bigger than the party … I suppose, look at what some of these people have gone on to do since - nothing — they used the party for their own ends and then cried wolf when the party tried to remind them that we adhere to certain policies and political beliefs.

1 Like

just read into this, she retweeted that Stacks father was a sadist, something was certainly amiss in Portlaoise

“What I said about prison management was very very consistent with what was said at the Prison Officers’ conference in 1982 and I’ll quote from it if you want to, where two delegates stood up and said if Hitler was looking for SS men he need look no further than prison management in Portlaoise Prison.”

1 Like

Why would Hitler be looking for SS men in 1982?

1 Like

Really?

Another day, another day when the Shinnerbots forget to switch their social media accounts.

Come back Gerry, all is forgiven.

1 Like

Odd that people were saying Adams was toxic and turning people off voting SF.

He was a man who has shown himself to be a political giant throughout his career, a man who put it all on the line for his country and his people. What is left now in SF is just career politicians trying to score whatever populist point they can. South of the border they are a dead duck, they have sold republicanism down the drain.

1 Like

Again

1 Like

MMcG’s death was more relevant Imo. Gerry was toxic. The problem is that they were reasonably positioned, but the new guard are lightweights*

*major asterisk

Gerrys leadership is badly missing. O’Neill particularly isnt a good politcal performer from what I’ve seen. I was up in Derry recently, and you can sense that they feel completely sold out by the Belfast agreement, as they call it.

The region economically is going backwards. Very little work going on there in comparison to Belfast. From talking to a few locals, they maintained that wasnt done by accident.

Adams was not toxic to Republicans which has always been the core base of SF. It has forgotten that as it has tried to ride the wave of populism.

He was to the larger population base needed to get past twenty odd percent, rightly or wrongly, I think. Mcguinness wasn’t. I think if he had been more honest about his past, this wouldn’t have been such an issue. He was a supreme politician though.

1 Like

Gaining past the 20% means abandoning what should be core principles of republicanism. The free state by and large have shown a servile and nonplussed attitude to the issues in the North.

There seems to be a widening divide between the new age grass roots in the South and the traditional base in the North. Its like two different parties with two different ideologies.

I don’t think it does. I’d imagine the raison d’etre of republicanism is first and foremost a United Ireland. That is a noble, quite correct aim, and if it needs a break with the old guard to allay the fears of a core vote, so be it. It would at this stage be best served by a move towards the centre a la new Labour in my opinion, not that I’m right, or that it is the right thing to do. Most people who have grown up in a comfortable western democracy are fairly moderate centre ground types. It’s just the way it is. Most of the Republic were not subjected to the extreme pressures that the northern nationalist (or to an extent unionist) community were subjected to, and have never really had a catalyst to push them left or right

I think in a country dominated by centre and centre right parties they would be well served by being a proper left wing party, if they could prove they were they could cannibalise labour and offer a proper alternative set of policies.

“Cannibalise Labour “ :sleepy:.

Jesus the pickings there are pretty slim .

1 Like

True!

Kelly’s head would feed an army in fairness, no pun intended!

Centre right

Who? :joy:

1 Like

The FG/Tories.