Should McGeady leave the SPL

:eek::clap::stuck_out_tongue:

Halt - An English FA Cup Winners medal has more value than a Scottish League Winners medal.

Is winning medals the sole determinant in why McGeady should move? FA Cup, Carling Cup medals ya sure great to win but as worthless as SPL medals in reality.

I would suggest that improving as a player and seeing how far he can go in the game should warrant him handing in a transfer request. He aint a worldbeater, not so long ago he was dropped at club level for the only competitive games in the SPL, was also on the bench for the Bulgaria match dont forget. But he has ability. There is no point him playing with the likes of Brown, Fortune and McDonald any longer. He could be making runs there all day and they wouldnt pick him out or read his passes.

Come on McGeady show a bit of ambition and get out of there. Also like former SPL worldbeaters Maloney and Ferguson if it doesnt work out he can always head back to the SPL anyway.

use the EPL move as a stepping-stone. would he make the step up to arsenal, liverpool or united?

as it is, the champions league was the only advantage celtic had over the likes of villa, everton, etc.

and the FA cup and Milk cup are certainly no less prestigious than their scottish counterparts.

contrast him with Larsson. Larsson gave the best years of his career to Celtic. never made it out of the group stages of the champions league. I’ll give you the UEFA final, and he may well look back on that as a highlight, but 2 years at Barca easily eclipsed what he achieved at Celtic in terms of trophies.

I don’t see what McGeady has to gain by staying, not in any tangible measure. There’s the comfort zone of living near home and having family and friends around you, but that shouldn’t come into it when considering what will be at most a 15-year career.

[quote=“treaty_exile”]use the EPL move as a stepping-stone. would he make the step up to arsenal, liverpool or united?

as it is, the champions league was the only advantage celtic had over the likes of villa, everton, etc.

and the FA cup and Milk cup are certainly no less prestigious than their scottish counterparts.

contrast him with Larsson. Larsson gave the best years of his career to Celtic. never made it out of the group stages of the champions league. I’ll give you the UEFA final, and he may well look back on that as a highlight, but 2 years at Barca easily eclipsed what he achieved at Celtic in terms of trophies.

I don’t see what McGeady has to gain by staying, not in any tangible measure. There’s the comfort zone of living near home and having family and friends around you, but that shouldn’t come into it when considering what will be at most a 15-year career.[/quote]

And yet when you talk to Larsson now his favourite years were those at Celtic. That’s what defined his career and that’s what made him the great player he was.

When you’re that good at something you don’t crave external recognition, the definition of insecurity. You get thrills from performing at your pinnacle for the club you love and winning as much as you can with them.

If a club with genuine Champions League credentials came in for McGeady then I could understand a decision to leave but I could also understand a decision to stay. A move to an EPL team that can’t win anything domestically or in Europe is a nothing move frankly and is no sort of stepping stone. McGeady is more likely to be picked up by Barcelona playing for Celtic than if he was playing for Everton.

He should move now before he turns into another Barry Ferguson.

It’s crazy how the three clear best players in the world - Totti, Ibrahimovic and McGeady - divide opinion so much.

[quote=“treaty_exile”]

.[/quote]

Incorrect - for certain types of players there is a great advantage of playing for Celtic - you only have to perform for a handful of games every year - the rest of the games you can jog along on auto pilot. If you were at Villa you would have to produce week in week out in the Premier League, regardless of the opposition, the pressure is on every week. I remember when Celtic were going for Hakin Yakan - his agent came out and said he would only sign for a Big team in a small league or a small team in a big league - in other words somewhere where Yakin could cruise along in, picking up a decent wage, without the pressure playing for a big team entails.

Barry is an alright sort.

the lad has a awful miserable demeanor about him on the field. he is the picture of misery. he’s not a happy lad at all.

from an Irish perspective i hope the fuck he gets out soon and starts getting competitive matches week in week out.

Yeah, but he should have left Scotland at a younger age to improve his game. As it is, he left too late, flopped in England and scuttled back North to the safety blanket of the SPL.
This is the fate that awaits McGeady if he leaves it too long.

[quote=“Piles Hussain”]Yeah, but he should have left Scotland at a younger age to improve his game. As it is, he left too late, flopped in England and scuttled back North to the safety blanket of the SPL.
This is the fate that awaits McGeady if he leaves it too long.[/quote]

He should step up to the LOI before going to the EPL.

:clap:

[quote=“Rocko”]And yet when you talk to Larsson now his favourite years were those at Celtic. That’s what defined his career and that’s what made him the great player he was.

When you’re that good at something you don’t crave external recognition, the definition of insecurity. You get thrills from performing at your pinnacle for the club you love and winning as much as you can with them.

If a club with genuine Champions League credentials came in for McGeady then I could understand a decision to leave but I could also understand a decision to stay. A move to an EPL team that can’t win anything domestically or in Europe is a nothing move frankly and is no sort of stepping stone. McGeady is more likely to be picked up by Barcelona playing for Celtic than if he was playing for Everton.[/quote]

McGeady for Barcelona :clap:

Sure what can McGeady win in Scotland - zilch. Winning medals aint everything anyway. Its about improving as a player. Its clear that his club side are going backwards at a rate of knots and that will only continue. He will also dissimprove if he continues to play with and against such sub standard players. Its a bit like a senior standard club GAA player being comfortable playing Junior B.

He was a great player because he performed well for different clubs in different countries over a long career. Even past his peak he made a vital contribution in a champions league final off the bench. Never found wanting on the international stage on a team that at times struggled for creativity.

did he tell you this himself or is it garnered from your own experience?
what good is performing at your pinnacle in a second-rate league? surely anyone with a modicum of ambition would be curious to discover if his pinnacle was to be found on a bigger stage?

If a club with genuine Champions League credentials came in for McGeady then I could understand a decision to leave but I could also understand a decision to stay. A move to an EPL team that can’t win anything domestically or in Europe is a nothing move frankly and is no sort of stepping stone. McGeady is more likely to be picked up by Barcelona playing for Celtic than if he was playing for Everton.

If a move to a Villa, Everton or Spurs worked out and led to a transfer to a Liverpool, Arsenal or Utd then it is a stepping stone. He’s unlikely to be picked up by Bara now since he won’t be playing against them anytime soon. Whether you personally find it agreable or not Rocko, Celtic’s inability to make the league stages (probably more to do with Rangers damaging the SPL co-efficient as it does with Celtic’s performances) has increased the likelihood of McGeady leaving at the end of the year. His options are not limited to the biggest EPL club that will take him.

mcgeady is one of the most over-rated players out there. just because he plays good in the spl, that doesnt make him a decent player. look what happened anthony stokes…

Quiet you.
:rolleyes:

[quote=“treaty_exile”]Quiet you.
:rolleyes:[/quote]

that joke is 3 months old now at this stage - jog on

Scotland is a grimy, desperate shithole. Anyone with an ounce of sense would flee the place.

Think McGeady has always looked at home in the Champions league and is clearly playing in an inferior league for a man of his ability. A club like Villa or Spurs would be ideal for him. I think he struggles playing with Ireland because of the constraints put on him by coaches / Trapp. He needs to be given freedom, not chasing back helping donkeys like Kilbane or McShane or O’Shea or…