Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

Janice Long has passed away. Ex BBC DJ and TOTP presenter.

He was a relation of mine and I had a few to mark his passing today with a few other relations.

A man of strong convictions and many contradictions. I knew of a good few of his capers but heard of another few today that you could make a movie out of it they’re even 50% true.

13 Likes

Richie Roche was a prominent local member of Sinn Fein, possibly chairman of the local branch in New Ross at the time. There was talk at the time that Eileen Flynn was been punished for his politics and that this was the real motivating factor behind the actions of the Holy Faith nuns.

A lot of the soft support and sympathy for the Republican movement garnered during the Hunger Strikes had evaporated quickly enough with their war in the early 1980’s on the institutions of the State and it’s security forces. Garda Seamus Quaid, who played on the 1960 Wexford All Ireland winning team was murdered by an IRA man in a bank raid in Wexford in 1980, which would have earned close to pariah status for the Republican movement within the county.

6 Likes

That’s cos shed a long back and short legs like paddy Welsh’s daughter

1 Like

Dallas Buyers Club was a brilliant film.

2 Likes

I could be wrong on this but I don’t think the Nuns in The Holy Faith gave two fucks about Richie’s political affiliation.

All I ever heard was that it was a religious thing plain and simple.

Barry Glendennings Dad.

Jim Sherwin RIP.

His commentaries aside, I liked the programs he produced later in life. After a short illness it said. He was fit and well last time I saw him on TV. Worked till the end.

2 Likes

Ah no. I’m sorry to hear that.

A great commentator, a sad loss, RIP.

Ah shite. Jim seemed to be a very decent man.

Did he have some falling out with RTE in his later years?

He did

Ireland’s voice of tennis.

The voice of Munster rugby’s rise.

The voice of Sunday night National Football League and League of Ireland highlights.

The voice of leisurely hillwalking with assorted guests like Ken Doherty.

Another of the greats gone.

2 Likes

Was he the voice of the game Fred cogley wasn’t commentating on in the five nations?

He was

Used to have a programme about the blind called „listen and see”

He commentated on Michelle Smith’s heroic medal haul in Atlanta in 1996.

Jim bought a big Ariston microwave oven off me in Switzers in 1989. He told me his car was parked around the corner and asked in his dulcet D4 tones if I would mind carrying it back there for him. Turns out his car was parked around several corners at the RIAC car park in Dawson st. My arms were hanging off me by the time we got there and I was sweating like a guard. No tip either. He mugged me off good and proper so he did. God be good to him all the same.

43 Likes