Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

Your microwave ordeal went Ariston and on and on.

7 Likes

Ah here, respect for the dead and all that but he was a hopeless commentator

1 Like

Jim had a similar role to Nigel Starmer Smith at the BBC . The recorded game in the era predating floodlights in rugby & no Sunday rugby

Hugo Maradona, Diego’s brother.

Only 52.

Jim was definitely the main rubby commentator for a while, & not just Fred Cogley’s back up. I’m a big rubby man myself & I’m fairly certain that’s why he was so annoyed at RTE. He was kinda sidelined/forced out possibly in the early 2000s, as the professional era was taking hold, & Ireland & the provinces were starting to have some success. He would have commentated on a lot of ignominious defeats so it stung that they more or less dispensed with him when rubby was beginning to go mainstream & becoming more popular. Is this recollection correct @ChairmanDan?

2 Likes

Cogley seemed to be getting a bit doddery in his commentary in the mid to late 90s and Jim stepped up to the plate admirably. Although George Hamilton covered the Irish winning Paris in 2000 Jim definitely commentated on some games during the Dagger O Sullivan era. I’d imagine the RTE nepotism which saw Ryle Nugent replace him left a sour taste.

Jim would always get the non irish game during the old 5 nations. Fred got the Irish gig.

1 Like

I’d say Jim did all those dreadful Scotland v Wales games.

3 Likes

I think Cogley got shafted too in the end. He was very unhappy leaving if I remember rightly.

It looks good, it’s there.

McRingland……

1 Like

His son was head of sport in RTÉ for ffs. He was fucking useless was Fred Frogley.

4 Likes

Mitchell Cogley. Having a second name for a first name is never a good sign in my experience

1 Like

Didn’t the son eventually leave rte to go and head what essentially became eir sport?

2 Likes

You’re very cross tonight. Chill Winston……

Niall. Mitchell was the father who was sports editor in the Indo who got Fred the gig in RTÉ in the first place.

2 Likes

Frogley and Sherwin were like two lads commentating on a very exciting rubber down at the bridge club.

1 Like

Aye, Setanta and so on

1 Like

When we moved over here from England back in the 1980’s, both Five Nations (as it then was) matches were played at the same time, 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon. RTE used to screen a full deferred showing of the non Ireland match on Sports Stadium, right after the Ireland match. Jim was invariably on commentary duties for the non Ireland match.

Jim had a very acerbic wit. I remember an England match in the late 1980’s when Gareth Chilcott, the very rotund Bath prop forward was coming on as a substitute. Chiclott’s vital statistics flashed up on screen, just as he was entering the fray. Jim enquired as to what direction the 5ft 9 was in.

11 Likes

any examples of his acerbic wit to share with us?

16 Likes