Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

Classic :clap::clap:

1 Like

When you think of Limerick, you think of rugby, and of this match, forever associated with Jim Sherwin.

2 Likes

Noted re Jim invariably being the ā€œfull deferred coverageā€ man for many years, but Iā€™m nearly certain that over time Jim essentially replaced Fred as #1 commentator in the pre Ryle era. As somebody noted, there was the odd curveball like when George Hamilton did a game ahead of both, but Iā€™m around 76% sure Jim would have commentated on most Irish games around 1995-2000 anyway. In my mindā€™s eye I can hear Sherwin commentating on those games around the time ROG and Strings were given their bows and Gaillimh was there to mind them. It was great to thump the Scots at home that day. It seemed like they came to Dublin every second year to collect a customary win.

1 Like

Jim was the main man up to 2004. Iā€™d say the Munster-Wasps Heino semi-final at Lansdowne Road was his last blockbuster match behind the microphone.

2 Likes

Jim used to ruminate endlessly on tennis commentary duties about how often a break of serve would occur in the crucial 7th game of the set.

2 Likes

A son of Fredā€™s was/is an orthopaedic surgeon in Tullamore he reconstructed my hand after it was nearly dismembered in a fiery club game back in 1998.

2 Likes

There used to sometimes be an Englishman on commentary beside him. John Horn I think his name was. Not massively unlike the great Dan Maskell in his tone of voice.

Matt Doyle did tennis commentaries for RTE in later years.

What was that impenetrable Scottish back row?

Jim Jeffery/Jefferies at 6, Finlay Calder at 7 and who was 8?

They had a chap called Ivan Tukalo or something at one stage too but I canā€™t remember his position. The late Bill Mc(C?)L/laren would almost whistle the sound when mentioning him.

Derek White at Number 8.

John Jeffrey at 6.

1 Like

Was Damien Cronin number 8 or second row? I have him in my mind as a number 8.

Did Jim commentate on the 1990 Calcutta Cup Test Match ???

Cronin was second row

Derek White not to be confused with Derek Whyye who played centre back with Celtic FC at the time

Actually Jim Jefferies managed Hearts. Was it John Jefferies/Jeffery?

Iā€™ve a memory of Jim Sherwin being a great fan of Jim Staplesā€™ forays from full back for Ireland.

Not sure about that. I would have watched the Bill McLaren commentary on BBC.

The 1990 Calcutta Cup, Grand Slam decider was played on St Patrickā€™s Day. Ireland v Wales was played a week later on 24 March 1990. Presumably because there was already a pre-booking for rugby headquarters on St Patrickā€™s Day.

1 Like

That was Denis Hickieā€™s try against Wales in 1997.

ā€œYes, sir! Touchdown Ireland!ā€

Did Jim follow American football?

Iā€™m think I remember Jim commentating on a Rob ā€œHendoā€ Henderson hat trick.

Crash down was the phrase Jim uttered

Sean Oā€™Rourkeā€™s wife, Caroline Murphy used to do the intro back in the studio in Montrose, before we went over to the All England Club for live commentary from Jim.

3 Likes

In 1985 Caroline got a hunch for a German teenager early doors. How right she was

1 Like

Tukalo was a fairly prolific winger

1 Like