Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

She used to do a segment called “The Sporting Press” on the Sunday night winter highlights programme which Jim Sherwin presented in the mid-1990s. Ryle Nugent cut his teeth on that programme.

He was of Magyar heritage

Steffi Graf?

Indeed. Mind you his win at the Queen’s Club Championship in 1985 was a good pointer.

1 Like

1985 was a great year.

I was at that match 16 of us headed over only 4 of us had tickets we all got in via touts and were on the terrace at the old Arms Park. In those days no matter how bad we were we always won in Cardiff. If my memory is right we went unbeaten there from 1985 to 2005 all wins bar a draw in 1991.

2 Likes

Did Jim commentate on Simon Geoghegan’s Twickenham heroics or was that someone else? Actually did Geoghegan have two separate day of days at HQ?

Was he not on some kids sports show on The Den originally - The Grip or something like that?

Caroline Murphy and Sean O’Rourke did a non sporting show back in the 90s as well I think - Family Matters.

George I think that was

1 Like

That was around the same time. Perhaps he cut his lower teeth on The Grip and his top teeth on Sunday Sport (television).

NFL legend John Madden. Gone to the big football field in the sky.

5 Likes

Thought that was Katherine Thomas and Jason Sherlock.

To be fair to Jason he never had a thread near dedicated to him on TFK telling him put a sock in it @Fagan_ODowd

That was “Rapid”. Essentially the exact same show as “The Grip” but with a different name and new presenters.

1 Like

Was The Grip Ryler and Bill OHerihlys daughter?

Sarah O’Flaherty was the other presenter.

1 Like

The Cookies issued a fatwah on Cogley in the early 90’s when he ratted The Claw out to the IRFU suits.

Fred was down in the Killing Fields covering his beloved St. Mary’s in an AIL match, from which some highlights were to be shown the following night.

Claw was a bit liberal with the use of his footwear but it went unseen by the referee. Cogley, the rat, ran to Lansdowne Road with the tape and Claw got a suspension based on it.

Cogley was told in no uncertain terms that if he was to ever again set foot in the Garden of Getsomebody it would be at severe risk of personal injury, the tout.

12 Likes
6 Likes

Geoghegan’s father and my father were cousins

2 Likes

Franno was a colossus that day.