Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

Never heard that. Very sad.

Terribly sad. The Lord have mercy on him.

Michael Lang, the man responsible for Woodstock.

Ah heyor, he died 6 days ago, we expect A&E tips here

Donā€™t go there unless youā€™re dying.

Jim Fahy, Western Correspondent

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2022/0115/1273842-jim-fahy/?s=09

2 Likes

RIP Jim

RIP Jim.

A voice of my youth.

1 Like

Who was the guy who would have commentated on the highlights package for Connaught matches on Sunday game in early 90s ? He was brutal ā€¦

Jim Carney

1 Like

Knew it was a Jimā€¦ as much as he tried he couldnā€™t add excitement to a game ā€¦

Ciaran ā€œMurphā€ Murphyā€™s uncle.

2 Likes

Jim was an alright sort, though. Editor of the Tuam Herald, author, playwright and one of the original (possibly the first ever) presenters of The Sunday Game.

Maybe not the greatest commentator, but his heart was in it. Thereā€™s been far worse.

Was a Galway football selector for a good few years too, if I recall.

4 Likes

There havenā€™t been many worse in fairness. He was fucking brutal.

9 Likes

John Kirwan, the funeral director, comes to mind. He approached his commentaries like he did his day job.

6 Likes

I liked Jim Carney as a commentator. The games I most recall him commentating on were thrillers - Derry v Donegal 1992, Meath v Kildare 1997, in hurling Limerick v Waterford 2001. Jim commentaries were a bit like a great period of extra-time. Frantic, shambolic, disorganised, all over the place, but great fun.

6 Likes

Jim Fahy always seemed to be stuck in the middle of some natural event. Flood, storm, snow, bogburst. He always seemed to be signing off his reports in some cold blustery place. RIP

1 Like

bogburst!

:rofl:

Commentary on GAA is a very difficult skill.

Of the current lot only Ger Canning as bearla and Brian Tyers as gaelige have mastered it.

Canning should have retired a good while now. His heart doesnā€™t seem to be in it anymore

1 Like