Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

A good hurler. Played senior for Cork almost straight out of Minor I think.

Sad to hear that, won 4 all Ireland’s, stood out on the pitch with the blonde hair.

Was a driving instructor in his later years. Got a few lessons off him before my test, bit gruff but I passed.

1 Like

I’m shocked to hear that, I would have been on nodding terms with Hoggy years ago, very decent fella.
Blackrock was his club but he was from Passage, same club as Justin McCarthy, rubbish club which has produced two hurlers of the year,
RIP

1 Like

I remember seeing him when I was younger, he would have been at the end of his career but looked a classy hurler.
RIP

Former Supreme Court and Special Criminal Court judge Frank Griffin passed away during the week. As the Paper of Record, noted today, he was instrumental in taking on the IRA criminal scum.

Frank Griffin, who has died aged 98, was a long-serving judge of the Supreme Court and the first presiding head of the Special Criminal Court when it was re-established in 1972 by then minister for justice Des O’Malley.

In his memoir, Conduct Unbecoming, O’Malley said that at the time he was concerned about the intimidation of jurors and witnesses.

“There was great difficulty in getting judges to serve, however, on the new court. Several who declined told me the position was too dangerous, fear of the Provisional IRA and other republican terrorists groups had reached such a level. Threats against judges, and the fear that thugs would picket their homes, were taken very seriously. Frank Griffin of the High Court, and Charlie Conroy of the Circuit Court, agreed to sit after many of their colleagues refused,” O’Malley wrote.

From the time of his appointment in 1973, Griffin travelled everywhere with an armed guard. GardaĂ­ were also placed at his home in Dartry, Dublin, and the family had to put up with the imposition that came with being constantly protected.

Griffin, according to those who knew him, believed the Provisional IRA constituted a threat to the State and that it was his duty to accept the position.

Northern Irish guitarist, Henry McCullough, who played with Wings, Pink Floyd and Joe Cocker, has died aged 72 after a long illness.

Brilliant guitar man RIP

One of the Sweeneys Men as well.
I didn’t think he had played with Pink Floyd so I had to look it up, it seems he has a spoken word part on Money.

Alf is gone :cry: I’ve just read that Mr Belvedere passed away as well in 2001​:pensive:

At least Lynn tanner is still looking good

2 Likes

A link to Waterford’s All-Ireland winning team of 1959 has been broken with the sad passing of Seamus Power this morning.

RIP old Warrior

3 Likes

Carry on

RIP. Can’t be many of them left now.

BBC gymnastics commentator and the man known to all as “the Voice of Gymnastics”, Mitch Fenner, has died at the age of 70. Fans of gymnastics will be on the floor at this news and will no doubt have a Gym Beam in his memory today.

The women’s all-round competition in Rio de Janeiro won’t be the same without him.

I hope the BBC will dig some archive clips out from the vault during the Games to remind us of his wonderful commentating.

Carpet magnate Des Kelly has passed away. Anyone know when he is being laid to rest?

10 Likes

Poor chap. He had underlaying issues and obviously they tried to ply him with too much medicine. Some man to cut a rug in his day, though.

Are you saying his illness was swept under the carpet?

There’s a pile of stories going around

Roll them out, please.

Apparently vogue Williams came in and said she was looking for a good shag and he keeled over on the spot

1 Like