Six Nations Rugby Championship 2020 - The Greatest Marketing Show in Town

@Fagan_ODowd, I’m sure you’re thrilled to see Waterford involvement in the squad for the upcoming Six Nations Championship.

reland have named five uncapped players in their squad for this year’s Guinness Six Nations, while Johnny Sexton has been confirmed as captain.

Ulster’s Billy Burns and Tom O’Toole, and the Leinster trio of Max Deegan, Caelan Doris and Ronan Kelleher are the new players to feature in the panel.

Development players Ryan Baird, Robert Baloucoune, Harry Byrne and Will Connors who will all train with the squad at the warm weather camp in Portugal and in the lead up to the opening game against Scotland on Saturday, 1 February at the Aviva Stadium.

Rhys Ruddock and Niall Scannell are among the players to miss out.

Ahead of his first game at the helm, Ireland coach Andy Farrell said: "We have appointed Johnny as captain for the Six Nations. You can see what it means to him and the enthusiasm he will bring to the role.

"He has been developing as a leader for a number of years with Ireland, Leinster and the Lions, and he will be a positive voice for the group.

"At the get together in December we challenged the players to put their hands up for selection and the coaches are really pleased with the performances in recent weeks.

"As we progress through the championship we will look to select sides that we believe are best suited to the task at the weekend.

“We will keep a close eye on the provincial performances in the Pro 14, not just for the players in the squad that will transition back for game minutes, but also for those players that were part of the wider selection discussions over the past few weeks.”

Farrell said on his decision to bring in four development players: "The provinces are doing a great job in developing young talent and we feel there is an opportunity in the national set-up to support that work and get a better insight into some young players that have put in strong performances for their provinces.

“Ryan, Will, Harry and Robert will be the first ones to join the squad in this development role.”

Ireland’s Six Nations squad

Forwards (19)

• Max Deegan
  • Caelan Doris
  • Ultan Dillane
  • Tadhg Furlong
  • Cian Healy
  • Dave Heffernan
  • Iain Henderson
  • Rob Herring
  • Ronan Kelleher
  • Dave Kilcoyne
  • Jack McGrath
  • Jack O’Donoghue
  • Peter O’Mahony
  • Tom O’Toole
  • Andrew Porter
  • James Ryan
  • CJ Stander
  • Devin Toner
  • Josh van der Flier

Backs (16)

• Will Addison
  • Bundee Aki
  • Billy Burns
  • Ross Byrne
  • Andrew Conway
  • John Cooney
  • Keith Earls
  • Chris Farrell
  • Robbie Henshaw
  • Dave Kearney
  • Jordan Larmour
  • Luke McGrath
  • Conor Murray
  • Garry Ringrose
  • Jonathan Sexton (captain)
  • Jacob Stockdale

Development Players

• Ryan Baird
  • Robert Baloucoune
  • Harry Byrne
  • Will Connors
1 Like

I think he was in an Ireland squad before? Certainly is as deserving as any of them based on recent performances

Them Burns boys are an inspiration. Freddie was the talented one and so got to play for England, but the brothers were determined to get an international cap somewhere as well so Sam went to Cyprus and played international rugby there and now Billy is about to get a cap for Ireland. There is a fourth brother too, I presume he will line out for Italy or Spain in the coming years.

That is one weak looking back line.

That’s a very uninspiring looking squad.

:smile:

Cooney will surely get an auld throw of the dice. He’s like Niall Moran in the league that year he was on the frees at the moment.

Is this stat true? — shocking if it is… the so called home of rubby cant produce any players … glad the myth has been exposed as a fraud.

Billy burns is a great name for an “ulster man”

PS the six nations is fcuking rubbish apart from ingerland games as you always root for the other team, and you know it sickens nigel Trevor-roper types.

I’m going to the Wales game.

Enjoy mate. Dubberlin or Cardiff?

Dublin.

Grand day out if its an evening kick off. Lunch somewhere excellent, few pints, match and home to the nest.
I can’t get tickets anymore.
Id often do the above, and watch the match from the bar though.

1 Like

A lot of lads with tickets do the same.

1 Like

I’d usually sleep for half an hour after the national anthem.
I was in a bar in the city centre before without a ticket for one of the grand slam games with ingerland. The tickets were said to be changing hands for circa, 1000 euro a pair.
There was a very pretty, very drunk lass at the bar offered me two tickets at face value.
I pointed out that it was ten minutes into the game, and noone would pay face value.
She wandered off trying to sell them at face value elsewhere.
I heard after it was Gordon d’arcys partner/wife, but I was thoroughly oiled, half asleep, and can’t remember what she looked like other than dark hair and pretty

It’s tiring standing for three anthems in fairness.

2 Likes

The emotion of Irelands call is draining #teamofUS*

*SA

Fixed

What are we looking at here Healy, herring, furlong, toner, Ryan, stander, Van der flier, doris, Murray, Sexton, earls, aki, ringrose, stocdale and larmour?