Sky Broadband

[quote=“Bandage, post: 912122, member: 9”]Well done, pal.

Are you sure I wasn’t involved?

I’d be interested in taking the credit for it.[/quote]

Neither of ye can take credit for that.

So I rang Sky this morning to cancel… Half thinking of getting one of those Amiko Alien 2 boxes and doing a bit of hacking as they say.

Anyway, Sky are fairly hammering the market when it comes to prices at the minute…

12 month contract… I asked them to bundle the following.

Broadband (Unlimited Downloading, I only have a 2mb connection anyway)
Landline (200 LL minutes)
Skysports

85 per month for 12 months.

Lads Sky are wrecking my head saying I have to get an eircom engineer out to reopen the landline to get broadband. The eircom cunt will only come between 9-5 Monday to Friday and will only give me a 5 hour window of when he might turn up. I know this isn’t sky’s fault but fuck them too.

Anyway, anyone use one of the wireless routers you can hook up a few devices to?

Vodafone have one that seems reasonable with a 10gb cap. Is that too low? @TreatyStones I’ve no idea how much data I use, but I wouldn’t download a lot. Though I do internet a lot.

Please call them by their correct corporate name.

You should be happy for your fellow working people have got such a sweet deal from the CWU. We’re lucky to have them.

No sure what you mean here mate? Most routers that you’ll get from the broadband suppliers will allow you to hook up various devices. Can you be more specific?

Do you need Sky? If I had a choice I’d use UPC/Virgin - I had to move from them when we moved to Donegal as they weren’t available. Got Sky TV in and ordered Sky Broadband but they were taking forever to install and lost order details etc so in the end I just went with eircom and they had it up and running withing a week or so.

Sorry mate. It doesn’t need a landline.

UPC not an option unfortunately.

I have one of those Meteor dongles that I use a few times a week now but did use as permanent broadband when I lived somewhere with no landline a few years back. Its probably as fast as tethering through your phone and can sometimes be as cheap to just buy a big data bundle on your phone and tether through it.

Dongles so I assume.

Yeah, they can be ok. Contention is the big issue I found. On a friday evening when I wanted do download stuff my rate would drop from 5MB down to 0.5 or something. This all depends on the amount of people who are working off that particular mast and may be higher in some areas than others.

Then there are actual wireless broadband providers who work off a line of sight and others who offer satellite broadband. I’ve no experience here.

If you can see the sky…

1 Like

Anyone using this?

I’m on eir Fibre at the minute but was looking to get the new Sky Q into the house so I could use it in three rooms in the house.

I didn’t realise the Sky Q boxes act as wifi routers and give you full service around the house, woudl make it handy for my Android box, that I use for sport, around the house and will save me getting the wifi extender that needed for the Sun room as well.

We’re within 50m of the wifi cabinet in the Estate and have download/upload speeds that vary between 60-100mbps.

Anyone using Sky and, if so, what the service been like?

Eir , Vodafone and Sky all use the same infrastructure. So your speed will be pretty much the same as it was with Eir.

I have Sky for the last 15 months and it works very well. Similar situation in relation to the exchange cabinet. I get ~80mbps.

1 Like

Its been fine since tbf

Eir FTTH is the big difference if you can get it. But otherwise, if it’s standard Eir Fibre it’s all the same as you say.

Yes and no. Do you really need 1000mbps broadband? Anything over 40 is more than adequate for most people’s needs and becomes effectively redundant.

I’d find uses for it. I get what you’re saying and it’s a premium offering but it’s extremely quick so that’s only a good thing, even if not necessary.

Torrenting :slight_smile:

1 Like