Soccer Tactics Thread

Short Corners - The work of the devil.

Discuss

Nah I think they’re useful when they’re done quickly especially. Can see why Barca use them because they don’t have much in the air but it’s rare enough you’d see a clean goal from them. Do think you’re better just keeping the ball for a few seconds to see how things go rather than rolling it to some other lad to simply cross.

I think they have to be executed very well to be of any use. Often you see a rushed ball to a player who ends up trying to take a rushed cross that hits the first defender. Anybody playing soccer at a semi decent level should be able to put in a good quality corner from a dead ball. I rarely see teams getting any major advantage from a short corner. It also means unless the attackers in the box knew it was happening they’ve already made there runs and are struggling to regain a good attacking position.

NCC might know more but I remember watching Roma on a few occasions a year or two ago and they were very fond of short corners, not sure whether it is still the case…

I would firmly be of the opinion that you should get it in the mixer son

[quote=“The Puke”]NCC might know more but I remember watching Roma on a few occasions a year or two ago and they were very fond of short corners, not sure whether it is still the case…

I would firmly be of the opinion that you should get it in the mixer son[/quote]

i think mullach ide has just shown up what NCC knows…:slight_smile:

i think mullach ide should stick to the rural games

Yeah I’d agree with that and that’s the point I was trying to make. I think they have a use if:
a) you’re knocking it to a guy in loads of space so he can deliver a good cross from a good angle or play it back to you.
b) if you don’t fancy just lumping it in there and are content to roll it around for a bit and draw defenders out
c) if the other team only puts one out to stop (like Hull did against Liverpool last weekend for example). Then you’ve a simple overlap and can work a great position.

Used to hate the little thing of rolling it a yard for someone to stop it so you can swing it in again, just inviting a charge down.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Agree with all of that.

Don’t know if anyone will ever surpass Keane though.[/quote]

Keane was hugely influential and excellent at what he did, but a limited footballer. He wasn’t capable of beating players, he didn’t score goals, he didn’t have a big range of passing, he wasn’t creative. He could dictate the pace of a game and he could stop good players from playing and despite being an idiot he was smart (when he wasn’t stupidly getting sent off or flying home).

I wish you were joking in saying that Keane will never be surpassed.

One thing I did a couple of times that ended in goals was when tipping off just 1-2 it with the lad you’re tipping off with and go straight at the opposition. I’m surprised nobody tries to be a little clever about these things. You’ll beat the first couple of lads easily. I hate this thing of knocking it back to the full back who then lumps it forward (although that doesn’t happen so much anymore).

There’s surely much more advantage to be had from freekicks and stuff, like lining up your own 2 man wall in front of a direct free kick and breaking just before the free taker strikes it. That kinda shit.

Liverpool have scored a couple from chipping the ball from a corner to the edge of the box for Alonso/Riise/Aurelio to strike. I like to see a bit of ingenuity like that.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]One thing I did a couple of times that ended in goals was when tipping off just 1-2 it with the lad you’re tipping off with and go straight at the opposition. I’m surprised nobody tries to be a little clever about these things. You’ll beat the first couple of lads easily. I hate this thing of knocking it back to the full back who then lumps it forward (although that doesn’t happen so much anymore).

There’s surely much more advantage to be had from freekicks and stuff, like lining up your own 2 man wall in front of a direct free kick and breaking just before the free taker strikes it. That kinda shit.

Liverpool have scored a couple from chipping the ball from a corner to the edge of the box for Alonso/Riise/Aurelio to strike. I like to see a bit of ingenuity like that.[/quote]

Straight out of the Scholesy book of tricks. Good to see liverpool learning from the best.

Uh, uh, uh, we beat ye twice this season. So there. Na na na na na. Stupidface.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]Keane was hugely influential and excellent at what he did, but a limited footballer. He wasn’t capable of beating players, he didn’t score goals, he didn’t have a big range of passing, he wasn’t creative. He could dictate the pace of a game and he could stop good players from playing and despite being an idiot he was smart (when he wasn’t stupidly getting sent off or flying home).

I wish you were joking in saying that Keane will never be surpassed.[/quote]

Your making him sound like a feckin Momo Sissoko or someone.

Hugely undercrediting (a word?) the man.

Terrible.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Your making him sound like a feckin Momo Sissoko or someone.

Hugely undercrediting (a word?) the man.

Terrible.[/quote]

You’re entitled to your opinion but you haven’t really argued against what I’ve said.

Roy Keane could keep the ball. Momo cannot. Happier now?

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]You’re entitled to your opinion but you haven’t really argued against what I’ve said.

Roy Keane could keep the ball. Momo cannot. Happier now?[/quote]

You know as much about football as your face does about razors.

Every manager of the last 15 years would have killed to have keane in their team. Momo was fourth choice at a club which often plays Lucas in their midfield.

[quote=“Juhniallio”]You know as much about football as your face does about razors.

Every manager of the last 15 years would have killed to have keane in their team. Momo was fourth choice at a club which often plays Lucas in their midfield.[/quote]

You know as much about being tall and slender as my face does about razors.

I’ve said that Keane was excellent at what he did. Farmer drew the comparison to Momo not me. It’s interesting to see that you also have not argued against the points I’ve raised.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]You know as much about being tall and slender as my face does about razors.

I’ve said that Keane was excellent at what he did. Farmer drew the comparison to Momo not me. It’s interesting to see that you also have not argued against the points I’ve raised.[/quote]

Points you’ve raised? Shit you spouted would be more apt. Keane didn’t score goals? he scored 79 of em in 568 games(go on the google machine). Going forward or range of passing? Of course he could/had. The fact is people concentrate and remember his ability to dictate games and boss games because he was so far ahead of his peers in that respect. So that’s what he’s remembered by. Doesn’t mean he didn’t have the rest.

A ratio of less than 1:7. Not great in my view.

“Going forward or range of passing? Of course he could/had.” Rubbish argument. Good luck.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]A ratio of less than 1:7. Not great in my view.

“Going forward or range of passing? Of course he could/had.” Rubbish argument. Good luck.[/quote]

Edited out the context Clarkey. What do you want me to do? Send you some dvds? He could drive his whole team forward, so he was obviously capable of going forward.

As for rubbish arguments… How’s this?

ClarkeyCat Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhniallio
Straight out of the Scholesy book of tricks. Good to see liverpool learning from the best.

Uh, uh, uh, we beat ye twice this season. So there. Na na na na na. Stupidface.

[quote=“Juhniallio”]Edited out the context Clarkey. What do you want me to do? Send you some dvds? He could drive his whole team forward, so he was obviously capable of going forward.

As for rubbish arguments… How’s this?

ClarkeyCat Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhniallio

Uh, uh, uh, we beat ye twice this season. So there. Na na na na na. Stupidface.[/quote]

Mine was clearly banter whereas yours was a poorly constructed argument. Keep up son.

And I requoted it as banter. Sad you can’t keep up with a fat lad with no knee. Must be the dodgy hammers.

Your argument runs along the lines of… ‘because I say so’. I have raised the point that because he was so good at one aspect of the game it overshadowed his other talents in the remembrances of others. Also 80 goals isn’t bad for a fella who didn’t score.