Speed Cameras

For those of you driving around Sandyford today, there is a cop with a camera behind the fence along the park on the left as you drive towards The Goat from The Beacon Hotel in Sandyford.

I may well have seen him too late.

I hate that fooking shite. That is a big wide road with no houses on either side and they put a 50km/hour limit on it. Then for an easy pull they stick a cop there and he hides in a gap in the fence with the camera out though a hole.

Where are they where the real accidents happen?

Saint John’s Road (Heuston Station) area is a notorious spot for these effers. The road is safe dual carriageway and has a bloody 50km/ph limit!

I’ve often told taxi drivers at 7am on Sunday mornings to drop the speed a bit at a certain point on the road to ensure they didn’t end up with penalty points. More often than not there was actually a Garda at that point at that time of a Sunday morning. Feckers!

Speed cameras are the devil. They’re inaccurate as we all know.

1 Like

The Stone Masons invented them circa 1980.

I may be shot dead for releasing that info!

[quote=“BenShermin”]The Stone Masons invented them circa 1980.

I may be shot dead for releasing that info![/quote]

I was in stiches at that. Nice tie-in post there Ben.

the whole idea of speed cameras is to catch drivers exceeding the limit and fine them / issue points to enforce the message that speeding is not acceptable. what’s the point of having a big shiny car with illuminous stickers warning drivers to slow down for that 100 yards to avoid detection before speeding up again “safely” once they’ve passed by. if you’re not speeding then it doesn’t matter where the gardai are positioned, if you are speeding then you deserve to be caught.

The only way of doing it properly would be to use the average speed cameras that photo your reg at the start and end of an area and calculate the average speed for the journey. Hope to god they dont introduce them tho.

Simple point to make here. Speeding doesn’t kill. Bad drivers speeding kills.

Nonsense. A good driver speeding is more likely to be killed than a good driver going at the speed limit. The reaction times are just too big and there are limits to how far you can safely go.

I’m with Jugs on this one, obviously speed traps should try to catch you out - that’s their purpose.

Absolute shite Jugs. Speed Cameras are actually revenue generators for a government that really doesn’t give two fucks about road safety or deaths.

Some of the country’s most dangerous roads still have a 100KPH limit, while some of the safest sections of dual carriageway are 50KPH, it doesn’t make sense! Doing 100KPH on dangerous sections of road is madness, yet it’s not breaking the law according to the speed limits.

It’s unsafe driving that kills, not speed coming up to a speed camera/revenue maker on a motorway!

Well what I said is true. I know my limitations as a driver therefore I won’t go at a speed I can’t handle.

It’s not your call I’m afraid. You don’t get to decide how much of a danger you should be to other road users - the State does.

And frankly they done a shite job at it!

Only if you get caught

[quote=“BenShermin”]Absolute shite Jugs. Speed Cameras are actually revenue generators for a government that really doesn’t give two fucks about road safety or deaths.

Some of the country’s most dangerous roads still have a 100KPH limit, while some of the safest sections of dual carriageway are 50KPH, it doesn’t make sense! Doing 100KPH on dangerous sections of road is madness, yet it’s not breaking the law according to the speed limits.

It’s unsafe driving that kills, not speed coming up to a speed camera/revenue maker on a motorway![/quote]

Other road safety measures are irrelevant. The government could and should be doing more but that’s no argument against implementing speed limits.

You were talking earlier about St John’s Road near Heuston. That has a low speed limit in places for very good reasons. It starts off as an urban road beside an extremely busy pedestrian area (Heuston Station). Then it has an awful lot of sequential traffic lights for Kilmainham, Crumlin, Palmerstown, Ballyfermot etc and other junctions for industrial estates etc. The road is intended as a bypass for Chapelizod. It’s supposed to move traffic away from a residential area but it’s function is not to serve as an inner-city motorway.

You can always pick out one or two examples where you have quibbles with the speed limit but the reality is that if everyone drove at the legal speed limits all the time there would be far, far fewer deaths on our roads.

Exactly the problem, the government seems to prefer wasting your tax money on speed cameras put on safe roads to catch you out rather then spending money on a dedicated Gardai Traffic Core!

I can’t remember the last road death on John’s road as a result of doing over 50KPH and believe me even Dublin Bus go at about 60kph on this road and traffic lights can be seen hundreds of metres in advance. Most of the road deaths I hear about happen on country roads with speed limits set at ridiculous speeds.

So do you propose that they increase the speed limit gradually until they get a few deaths, and then bring it back down a notch and hold it there? No deaths = speed limit working.

Im with Ben and Flano on this. Youd know youre only a city driver rocko. Crap drivers cause crashes - mostly reckless young lads.

City driver? Fingal is mostly rural.