Sport Books

1 Like

What in the namajaysus is this thundering Gobshite on about? Is this supposed to be funny? Is there something he knows about @farmerinthecity’s cock?

Agree rating. He just has to answer the Wolfe Tone question, that’s all.,

1 Like

Excuse me, these are the original survey questions as set out @Bandage when the forum was established. There is a protocol here you would do well to mind young man.

1 Like

I’m heading away to the sun for a couple of weeks shortly. Can anyone recommend 2 or 3 decent sport books to read by the pool ?

You’ve read the Gary Smith collections??
Try the best American Sports writing collections, available from Amazon, perfect for holiday reading.
Michael Calvin’s ‘Living on the Volcano’ is a fascinating insight into soccer management,
Two Hours is a fantastic book about marathon running,
Can’t go wrong with the classics that appear on the best ever lists.

2 Likes

Picked this up a few weeks ago on your recommendation, the best of the century one, outstanding

1 Like

Read a few chapters of Henry Shefflins autobiography, whatever about the mans hurling ability he comes across as a right cunt in it, dreary stuff.

2 Likes

Doped, about a horse racing doping ring. Won sports book of year few years back. Don’t think it deserved that award but a good read for a racing fan IMO.

I you have even moderate interest in football Living on a Volcano is very interesting look at football management.

Doped is an interesting story alright, and I have zero fuck all interest in horse racing.
Another good book I’ve read recently is Land of second chances. It sounds mental as it’s about Rwandan cycling but it’s surprisingly brilliant, bit more serious than your average sports book though.

Must look that up. Lot of v good books about cycling.

Currently reading Steve Williams (the caddy) autobiography. Hes a cunt and its not the best writing. But some good stories in it. Not slow in lowering the blade anyways

tyler Hamilton, Agassi books

'Arry Redknapp
Andre Agassi

1 Like

Crashed and Byrned

1 Like

It’s an interesting story alright but I think it is one of the worst written books I’ve ever read.

It’s very funny though,the stories from mexico and driving the stock cars in Armagh were gas,what was yer man’s name in Armagh they were racing against? the black something?

The black reek or something like that I think.

1 Like

There’s a few great stories in Crashed and Byrned that would keep you going but I wouldn’t say it was great overall, in saying that I couldn’t care less about motor racing, I only read it because it won the Irish sports book of the year.

To those who recommended Agassi’s book, I agree it’s a fantastic book, however Gary Smith (I know I’m a broken record) has a feature article on Agassi which is a more worthwhile and much quicker read.

1 Like

No Hurling at the Dairy Door - Billy Rackard - an excellent read. I had the book years ago and lost it somewhere!

2 Likes

That’s a brilliant book. It’s as much a social history as it is a book about hurling.

1 Like