Sport Books

Donal ogs was good, Justin mccarthy, Sean ogs not the worst either.
Pity JBM hasn’t been convinced to write one.

Cusacks was shite. I don’t want to be reading about the time him banged the arse off some lad in Loafers when I’m ateing my dinner

1 Like

Well don’t read to when you are eating your dinner so !!!

Tis a lonely old station to be reading a book with the dinner. have compassion.

This is drug cheat David Millars second book. It’s about the last year or so of his racing career. It describes very well what it’s like to race and crash and stuff like that.

1 Like

I suppose the wife makes you talk to her whilst you ate the dinner. Jesus you are patethic whipped cunt :joy:

1 Like

His first was a great read. Looking forward to that.
Robert millers recentish past would make interesting reading.

1 Like

Cusacks was average at best

I thought it was very good myself but you often go at a book with a preconceived notion, I like Donal Óg.

I forgot about Dalo’s book, maybe the best of the lot, was just having a look in my library a while ago.

It was better than Liam Dunne’s, I’ll give it that much.

Was it better than codys?
I lasted one and a half chapters of that.

Haven’t read Cody’s, won’t either

1 Like

I have an unopened signed copy of it if someone wants it.

Daly’s was boring enough. Has there ever been a good hurling autobiography? I thought Brian Corcoran’s was decent enough IIRC

It recreates that back of the classroom at 230 on a wet Tuesday looking at the northeastern basalt plateau chapter of the intercert geography book feeling better than any other book before, or since.

Last man standing was the best I read.

2 Likes

Not that I can recall. I really liked the revolution years as Hurling books go, last man standing too. Obviously neither autobiographies. I never read the Rackard one but heard it was decent for its era.

Which isn’t saying a whole heap.
Some of the ghostwriters are barely literate.

For what it’s worth I think Nicky English’s book Beyond The Tunnel is the best of them.

Two books about the madness at the heart of Clare hurling, Raising the Banner and to Hell and Back are well worth a read as well.

David Smiths biography of John Keane is the best book ever written about Waterford hurling (faint praise). The Unconquerable Keane. Val Dorgans biography of Christy Ring is a super book too.

2 Likes

Corcorans was quite good alright, made remarkable by the very un GAA like admission that he retired the first time because he was so good that no ball ever came to him or his man.
I thought Dalys was excellent.

We’ve gone a little off topic on the last few posts, theres been quite a few very good hurling books, we were talking about autobiographies. The agony and the ecstacy (waterford hurling) was a lovely book as well.