Sport Books

Yeah, it’s a smashing book for the club. The Facebook page does good work too, fires up old pictures of underage teams and asks can people name them. I dunno are all clubs at that but I thought it’s a nice way to get people long gone from the club to reconnect.

I half know the author… Ex player with NaP… I must have a look at it.

I could be involved in writing a similar book for a club so I’d like to see what decent efforts are out there.

Get in contact with Liam O’Donnchu. An out & out gentleman.

https://www.tipperary.com/lár-na-páirce-museum-story-gaelic-games

1 Like

Good man

http://www.killimorrules150.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/A4_Kill.pdf

This might be worth a visit by a man like yourself.

1 Like

You should join a club to see how they work and what the dynamic is like. The liverpool supporters club doesnt count

1 Like

You get a better badge with the Liverpool Supporters Club. And a free pen …

1 Like

Lots and lots of pictures, don’t get too fancy with tne text, nobody reads them, the book about hurling in Flannans was very impressive, a fella at work gave me a look at it.
What club is it? Hardly fucking Douglas anyway, there’d be more reading on a cornflakes box

Liam Ó Donnchú’s biography of Tom Semple and first volume of Thurles GAA history are both outstanding work – and full of excellent social history.

Top of head, club front, as regards social history and general excellence, I recall James Blake’s history of Seir Kieran GAA and Daragh Ó Conchúir’s history of St Laurence’s GAA. D Ó C also ghosted an enjoyable social history of Narraghmore Parish.

2 Likes

Just finished the Rouse book a decent read if you are interested in late 19th century Irish History and Hurling.

Much obliged.

No bother at all. If I think of any more relevant club histories – have read a lot of them… – will mention them here.

Was only reiterating what another poster said about Liam Ó Donnchú, who is one of the very best in all sorts of ways.

1 Like

Ollie Byrnes has some excellent books written in relation to the history of clare gaa

1 Like

Munster history

Very true. Great body of work.

I’ve buckets of them here in the house. Funnily enough there was a book written about Kilmacow GAA club an unremarkable GAA club in South Kilkenny that’s nearly the best of them. Massive tome with loads of detail. Very good one about Ballyduff Upper in West Waterford as well and the JK Brackens one is good too. If you want to borrow any of them let me know.

2 Likes

They’re a fair bit about the start of things in Dublin also to be fair

@South_Limerick_Refer is your man

True about Kilmacow. Forgot it… Senan Cooke, the author, is a former Kilkenny hurler in his time and a really bright pleasant man. Think he ended up in Dunhill.

He did indeed