Spotify and other music streaming services

Would the average shit eating, swamp dwelling murtyheartlick be able to find the difference between the 24 bit version of Nathan Carter’s wagon wheel vs its 16 bit counterpart?

9 Likes

You’ll need the 24 bit version to properly hear the satanic messages when you reverse the song.

5 Likes

No.

1 Like

Obviously meaningless to TFK’s hip hop crew.

Fellas who go on about hi fidelity sound usually have no interest in music

4 Likes

Give me barely audible rough production from a dingy basement type sound.

4 Likes

Until that gets too popular and then you can move on

5 Likes

Sign in @TheUlteriorMotive

I’m one of tfk’s biggest attenders of live music.

I drive the lads whose favourite genre is “their early stuff” demented with my small Irish bands, synth pop, The 1975 (the millennial’s Radiohead) and Snow Patrol tastes.

1 Like

How much have you invested in hi fi equipment in your lifetime?

I think it’s a personal thing, similar to tastes in music. My preference is vinyl as I can listen to vinyl for hours without getting fatigued, and found early CDs (most of them) horrible to listen to. Digital music has improved greatly though and to my ears at least a digital file played through a decent DAC sounds just as nice as vinyl.

You’re right though in the sense that the majority of people can’t tell the difference between an MP3 and lossless.

1 Like

Not much to be honest. The family had a “radiogram” at home that I eventually made my own. Then when I got my first job I bought a Sanyo music centre for about £200 which was a lot of money then. It had a radio, record player and a cassette player. I actually just threw it into a skip last week. It was still functioning but was just gathering dust. I wouldn’t let any of my records near it anymore. About 10 years later I bought a Sony Music Centre. Same set up as above only with a CD player. I’d say that was about £400. Maybe 7 years after that I was a bit flush and I bought a Pioneer Mini hifi system. That was a great piece of kit and cost around £600. CD, cassette and radio. I added a Bush mini turntable to it and I was away in a hack. Years later the CD player went on the fritz and I decided to go full hifi. I had fallen in for a few bob and I went out to yer man in Cloney Audio. In fairness to him he could have robbed me but he didn’t. He set me up with a mid range system , Rotel amp, Dual turntable, Nad CD and BW speakers. About £1,200 all in. I since upgraded the turntable to a Concept for about £1,000. And I’m happy out. I plugged the Dual into the Pioneer (the amp and speakers are still flying) and I have a grand set up with that as well.

So all in I’d say 3,500 - 4K in a lifetime.

3 Likes

Surely auto da fe then.

I have amazon prime and amazon music thing.
How much extra for HD?
What is amazon unlimited??
Edit, I already had unlimited. Just upgraded to HD there now.
Thanks for the heads up.
I’ll feed back on wagon whale presently.

1 Like

I bought a pair of speakers last Christmas for my present. They were dear at 2.5k, but the lad I bought them off, a delightful English quiet gentleman insisted on delivering them. He helped me get them into the house (they are awful heavy), and set them up. They were and are absolutely as new.
When I asked him how long he had had them, he said six months." From new?"
“Yes”
“how much did you pay for them?”
“eight and a half thousand pounds” he said, “but I got a good deal”
“how come you’re selling them now for that?”
“that’s just what they’re worth second hand” he replied. “I’ve bought myself some others and they are better, those just don’t work in my hifi room. I’ve spent over 150 thousand pounds on speakers in the past few years trying to get it right, and I think I finally have”
I was stunned. He was some kind of engineer. Argued at length before he accepted twenty of the fifty quid offered for petrol.
People are odd with their hobbies.

4 Likes

Cavern

What make are they?

That’s a lovely little set up mate

1 Like

Cheers pal. I should also add that I added a Technics cassette deck from the early eighties that I got on eBay for 28 notes that works the finest. It even has one of those little dials on the front of it like a Geiger counter.

2 Likes

We had one of those. Think my brother still has it.

So, by your own prior definition, all this investment in hifi means you have no interest in music :wink:
You should have stuck with the music center as it apparently makes no difference.

Anyway, the system Cloney sold you is grand, would be happy with that myself if I lived in Ireland. A good turntable is all I have cared much about, garbage in garbage out.