St Johnstone v Celtic ☘

Yeah he’s not a winger. His main strength is his finishing and movement and that’s far better utilised through the middle.

I like our shape today. Good to see Ange showing some pragmatism.

I think it depends on who we have. If we have Kyogo and Jota in the team then it’s very much a front 3 who can all run in behind and get into the box with Jota doing any of the dribbling. But when Kyogo and/or Jota drop out and we need a conventional winger to beat a man and stay wide then he’s not comfortable.

is kyogo off?

Players missing today:

Hart
Bain
Hazard
Toby?
Ralston
Jullien
Taylor
McGregor
Turnbull
Henderson
Jota
Forrest
Mikey
Giakoumakis
Ajeti

15 players out?

1 Like

I don’t think he offers a creative threat out wide Jota can take people on, create, score run in behind. That’s what you need from a wide player. Abada doesn’t have that physicality in terms of speed or strength to back himself one on one, he’s a tidy player but he’s not going to turn a full back inside out. He doesn’t back himself to beat defenders with the ball - he’s all about his movement and eye for goal - that’s why he looks far better through the middle.

Yeah

Yeah but when we play a more fluid 4-3-3 he can be one of the wide attackers. But that needs everyone to have good movement and be capable of playing inside and outside. That doesn’t happen when Kyogo or Jota are out but he is still reasonably effective out wide when we have our other first choice attackers.

thank fuck for the break

Potentially Murray too maybe.

Yes but I don’t think that offers a team like Celtic as much as we should need. When Kyogo and Jota are out we will need someone to step up in attack and in Ange’s favoured system we struggle in that regard.

Shaw and Uhroghide too.

1 Like

Doak is a big talent isn’t he?

Read a few big reviews on him. He’s only gone 16

And Dembele. So 19 players out who would have been in the squad today if available.

Ah yeah. I don’t think he’s at that level but very useful to have in the squad. I just mean it’s not bad to have him as a winger sometimes. He’s capable of playing well there. But if he’s our main winger and we’re light on strikers then he’s not going to terrorise an opponent the way Kyogo or Jota or a new signing might.

Yeah supposed to be excellent.

I agree, he’s a decent player but I don’t think the system suits him all too well or the team for that regard.

He looks far more productive for instance in how we are lined up today.

I get that Celtic have 47 players out and St. Johnstone are bottom of the league but that is pure dogshit on show today. The state of the pitch too.

2 Likes

Bhoys I’ve been watching with the sound down and I thought we were playing the usual system with Welsh right back and Kyogo and Juranovic as the wide attackers flanking Ababa. Oh dear.

Nah it’s defo a 3-5-2. Abada and Kyogo/Dawson through the middle.