St Patrick's Day

Something about this day I don’t like, particularly from a drinking point of view. It is on a Tuesday this year which is a horrendous day and it looks as if I will not be able to take time off around it which is a bit of a pig.

Good few people I know are taking the Monday off and heading away for the weekend which sounds like a good plan alright.

1 Like

Paddys day is up there with the likes of Stephens day as being a cunt of a day in terms of boozing…All the fucking apes who hardly ever go out decide to go on the tear for the day and are normaly langers and head wrecking come 9 pm…Although the recession seemed to get rid of a lot of these cunts over the christmas, hopefully it continues

Working for an American company I never get Paddy’s Day off.

I really dislike the day. As a kid all I remember is rain, rain and more rain. As I hit my 20’s I began to realise it is like National Scumbag Drinking Day.

Tis good craic abroad though. Did one in Cairns and one in Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires was brilliant cos of the Irish connection there and you had 20,000 students getting locked on the streets in one particular area. Some laugh in fairness being a ‘real Paddy’ with that lot.

will be in eindhoven at a stag & back the monday - plan to recuperate the tuesday

Best Paddys day I ever had was in London on the Friday before Shane Horgan single handedly beat the tans. War of Attrition won the Gold Cup that day too - twas a great weekend for the Irish.

I’d usually have gone drinking the night before paddys day and just took it easy for the day itself, either watching the club games or doing feck all at home. Where I lived in Dublin used to be at the start of the parade, and its the only time other than being abroad, that I saw a parade in person. Was in San Fran and Perth for 2 years of paddys day, much better craic outside of home for it.

I’m probably going to be at the Skol Cup Final in Hampden Park on the Sunday. I’ll be flying back on the Monday (day off work) and then I’ll see what happens on the day itself.

I was down in Wexford last year and it would have fallen on a Monday (I think we put in a shocking performance against Dublin in Wexford Park on the Sunday). I came back up on Monday night and the lads had been out all day on a massive piss up and I regretted not staying up to go out with them.

I’ve had a couple of pretty decent all day sessions in recent years - one culminated with breaking into the gaff Jugs and cesc4 used to live in when they were in college and pissing all over the hall, as you do.

As a kid, my auld lad used to go the club finals every year so myself and my brother would tag along. Those were the days before motorways and the term ‘bypass’ and you’d get stuck behind the parade in Arklow and Newtownmountkennedy and all these other shitholes.

Paddies day is the worst, most messiest day of the year. Fellas boozed up at lunchtime listening to rebel songs and getting rightly riled up. Always scraps around the place.

Stephens day on the other hand is the best day of the year in the country Puke. Im surprised at you. Great sport on telly, serious gambling, normally a local charity game or something. Fuckin savage day out

[quote=“dancarter”]Paddies day is the worst, most messiest day of the year. Fellas boozed up at lunchtime listening to rebel songs and getting rightly riled up. Always scraps around the place.

Stephens day on the other hand is the best day of the year in the country Puke. Im surprised at you. Great sport on telly, serious gambling, normally a local charity game or something. Fuckin savage day out[/quote]

Dead right Dan, Stephens’ Day, the best day of the year for the session. Wren Boys, Racing, Soccer and beer!
Paddys’ Day a joke, Dublin City Centre is a dangerous place on a Paddys’ Night.

[quote=“Mullach Ide”]Dead right Dan, Stephens’ Day, the best day of the year for the session. Wren Boys, Racing, Soccer and beer!
Paddys’ Day a joke, Dublin City Centre is a dangerous place on a Paddys’ Night.[/quote]

Where fcuking isn’t a dangerous place on Paddy’s night! Always a good bet for a stabbing or two.

Instead of the intended national holiday, St. Patrick’s Day is our national day of disgrace. The fucking state of Dublin city centre from early morning onwards every 17 March is an absolute embarrassment. Streets littered with cans, fast food wrappers and puke (not tfk’s puke thankfully). The amount of younsters walking the streets slugging beer while groups of bogger gardai congregate on street corners and turn a blind eye is ridiculous.

The drinking is messy as no matter how early you start there’s always loads of coonts already in an absolute jock. Then you have the tourists walking into the pub in their big green Irish Soccer supporter hats and looking around in bemusement at the assortment of locals barely speaking to eachother 'cos they’re in the absolute horrors. Then you have the fooking kids running around the pub and parents parking buggies beside the table blocking the route to the bar. It’s impossible to find a decent spot to enjoy a few pints.

That said it’s generally a good laugh once you get a few down the hatch and there’s always gamey americans around.

Horrible day full of drunk skangers, national day of disgrace is right. I traditionally work on Paddy’s Day so it’s just a normal day for me.

Don’t like it
I never got the lets all go and drink the pub all day thing
Just doesn’t make sense to me

I would usually head to Croker or the Schools cup final if the alma mater are involved

Last year was terrible. I was working, remember being in Dublin airport at 5.45 for the flight to London. Working all day, a very unhappy camper

WBY

Have spent the last fours Paddy’s days in Spain and had a great laugh, I must say. Best craic is to be away for it.

Hoping to keep the tradition up this year with a trip to Madrid, for a barbeque on the terrace of a mate’s apartment in a little village in the surrounding mountains. Nothing arranged yet though and its not looking to good for flights. If not I won’t be going near City Centre, up there with Halloween in terms of being an absolute gurriers’ holiday in this country.

Whole day has gone to shit since I realised eating sweets during Lent carried little or no consequence. Was nothing to look forward to after that.

Only cheaters ate sweets on St Patrick’s day, WTB. The real martyrs held out right through until Easter.

It taught me a valuable lesson about religious extremism as well, there’s no craic in it.

Hate it but might knock a bit of craic out of it in Sydney.

Generally just stay at home for it. Much like Stephen’s Day. Just not worth the effort.

Was kept awake 2 nights ago by a bunch of coonts singing rebel songs outside my window. No wonder the Aussies don’t like the Irish.

Pats day in Manchester is usually some craic,seems to break down into two distinct groups of drinkers.

Ould fellas from the West in horrendously patterned jumpers with huge shamrock bunches wilting as the day wears on and young 2nd/3rd generation boys/girls who venture out later on when the ould ones are done and dusted after a day on the porter.

Pats day seems a source of bemusement,jealously to the English mainly due to the fact their own day isn’t a bank holiday and is ignored by the bulk of the population.

I’m off work the whole week and I can see myself being skint halfway through the month,again.:mad:

Iced Gems lads.

They’re not sweets; they’re biscuits.