Staycation - Limerick's hard on for anything Kerry

Thanks.

1 Like

While I am here, to the Cork nativesā€¦ What club histories do ye know of in the area?

PM incoming.

Beware heā€™s sending you of town.

Step 1. Go into the small chipper beside tatler Jackā€™s.
Step 2. Ask for a curry stuffing chip.
Step 3. Prepare for your life to be changed

2 Likes

slight digression but we got married in Garryvoe hotel, a civil ceremony, then we had a second ā€œweddingā€ in Ashdod but the legalities were done in Ireland so that was a huge party really, ah they were great days aside from the fact when we arrived back in Israel a few days after the irish wedding and a rocket landed outside a shop we were in near Ramle but anyway
The staff in the Garryvoe Hotel are the finest

@Turenne that pitch in Pilmore was wild- when i was playing football the idea of handpassing didnt really feature, it was 6 forwards and 6 back and if you were playing into the wind there was a boomerang effect on any ball in the air
the pitch was sand

5 Likes

i could give you a few yarns on Cobh
@Turenne castlemartyr
@fenwaypark has a wonderful knowledge of the Imokilly scene also

Yarns gratefully acceptedā€¦ But I mean published club histories.

Would youghal be a fairly rough spot mickee?

at home there is a paperback called ā€œthe history of cobh gaa clubā€ but it was pubished in 1985
there has been nothing documented since then AFAIK
I have read the book - a lot of it is written in the first person and i wouldnt say it saw too much editing

Surely Garryvoe is a bit of both Oā€™Neills and Russell Rovers? Like Mogeely. @fenwaypark The only people I know in Garryvoe played for Russell Rovers.

Not as bad as Cobh. Itā€™s grand imo, but nothing going on there. Would only go there for Ahernes or the Roma Grill.

ā€œAn Illustrated History of the GAA in East Cork 1924-2010ā€ by Tom Morrison

Just go to club websites and you will find loads of info aswell.

2 Likes

ah look - yeah i mean it would have its moments id say
it was too far away from us when we were younger so we would never go out there
look - its different now- shur youā€™d head down with the family for a day there and have a grand timeā€¦
i know fellas ask is X a rough spot? shur look its what you make of it and in general a fella out drinking anywhere will find hassle if he wants it, i dont want to judge a place with my 20 something brain, youghal now could be a lovely base for a day out but like youā€™d have no business there otherwie
its a bit like Bundoran in parts, Bundaran is a terrrible place btw in terms of just deprived and bleak and run down, mother of godā€¦ it remidned me of courtown or somewhere, but im sure there are decent folk there too

when we used to play them in football anything could happen as both sides would be of a similar ilkā€¦
like say in east cork youd have these country clubs who would be sound and play hurling - we were brutal at that and there was no interest, instead the big occasions were v the likes of glanmire, midleton, youghal, and fucking aghaha, jesusā€¦ i remember an u14 east cork final v glanmire- it was the first time i got clobbered properly- up in Caherlag

2 Likes

Thanks very much. Thatā€™s useful to know. I want to track down club histories.

Is there a river in Garryvoe?

Must be a Kerry thing. Got same thing in a chipper after the Brandon night club in Tralee one night. Decades ago. It was unreal

Anyone from Garryvoe who went to school in kilcredan would play with Oā€™Neills. Jerome O Connell best example.

1 Like

No.

Well, then it is hard to know how the place would sit on a parish divide.

Part of the town of Kells in Kilkenny is in Danesfort. Most of Kells is in Dunnamaggin. The Kingsriver is the divide.

Ahā€¦ So it is a form of derogation.