Studying or not

Hi I’ve a 17 years old doing the leaving this coming year and looking for pointers pls,
He wants to become a secondary teacher but I’m bloody worried he’s not putting enough effort into it .
He does his 2 hours daily etc but I honestly don’t know if it’s quality studying he’s about or what , he seems calm enough about it when I question him ref study plan etc but I haven’t a clue whether he has one if it’s proper or if he’s going about it the correct way, any advice greatly welcomed ( minus the usual put your finger up your hole Tfk one)

If he wants to become a tecacher bad enough, he’ll make it one way or another

1 Like

He’d love a pe job as he’s sporty but has it in his head he won’t get enough points.
He badly wants to teach and came to this decision upon entering 2 nd level, his primary teacher had a great influence on him

If that’s what he really wants he’ll get there with or without the points.

1 Like

He’s arts in his head then history English I didn’t do the leaving so all new here

Sounds like he’ll be a natural

15 Likes

Devil :imp: if it was points for FIFA 20 he’d fly it the whure, just worried as I fecked some of my life up and don’t want him to follow

The good news is there are loads of ways into secondary teaching. Worse case scenario he could do a degree in anything and then do a h dip afterwards.

1 Like

He mentioned something similar to me but he may aswell be discussing flight plans to mars

Once you have a degree you can do a two year course at the end to teach

1 Like

That’s what he mentioned alright but of course me being me thought you’d go straight from school to college and study for a few years on your 2/3 subjects then get your degree

2 years to get a degree in 2 subjects?

Well that’s the straight forward route. If he’s not fussy about what he teaches or where he goes he’d probably find something at any level. Stuff like PE teaching and Woodwork teaching have relatively high points.

1 Like

He’s fussy but pe is not happening as points are savage , eng, history and business are his favourites, dropped honours maths , he intends/ hopes to get into his current school ( decent one)

Thanks for the advice I reckon there’s a lot of parents in similar circumstances ref leaving cert, and it’s hard to get answers from a teen about it

You should be able to make an appointment with the schools career guidance person or there are private career guidance people who can help either

1 Like

The whure did it himself already, I didn’t know they’d cater for parents also but that’s a great idea

It’s 3 years to do an arts degree. Included in that would be 2 subjects. English history geography etc. I think the H dip which qualifies you to be a teacher is only one year then.

1 Like

Look up the points for Arts in UCC and that’s what he’s aiming for then. Sit him down get him to predict what result he’ll get in each subject in leaving and add up the points

There’s only one real route into secondary teaching I think and that’s via a postgraduate/higher diploma.

He’ll need to do a degree first, Arts being the most suitable. There’s a 3 year degree in that in UCC if you want him local. Points seem to have plummeted in recent years. It was around 400 20+ years ago when I did one, but it’s down to 300 now. UCC also do the HDip if he still fancies doing the teaching at the end of the three years. He may very well change his mind by the time that comes around. That’s the beauty of the Arts degree. It kind of qualifies you for fuckall in a way but is a good gateway to other areas.

Re study, he doesn’t need to bursting his balls too much this time of the year.

1 Like