Studying or not

That’s appreciated big time lads as I haven’t a baldies , he gave me all these scenarios but they went over my head , now I’ve it in writing as reference,want to keep him local as he mentioned a sports scholarship to the states which frightened the feck out of me, he wouldn’t survive

1 Like

Yes this sounds familiar ( 300 points)and thanks, but ref time studying the most he’s ever done was 2 and a bit hour’s hours 5 days a week, do you think this will do ? He’s too feckin calm about it I think and fear after Easter the panic will start, and that’s not good for him

That’s plenty. He will do Christmas exams and mocks and that’ll give an indication of where he is. Is he a smart kid? Some lads will need to spend four hours, whereas others can do the same in two. Quality not quantity. That’s what I used to tell my parents anyway.

Is he doing all honours bar Maths? If so, 300 points should be relatively handy enough to get.

1 Like

As the other lads there are other routes into it but that is by far the most common and most direct. Could do ‘science’ in college and get in that way too but you said he’s more into the ‘arts’ subjects. Hell have to do fairly well once he’s in college then as H dip is hard to get into. It could be two years now look it up.
The other dampener on the whole thing is there are shit loads of English and history teachers and it’s hard to get a full time job

Yes honours bar maths, smart enough at his chosen subjects he’s not tops bar history and business, and since he dropped honours maths he’s getting an A/ B in it and no panic

He needs to be studying “actively” if that makes sense. Making notes, practicing answers to previous papers. Things he can then look over as it gets closer to exam time. Studying for leaving is practicing to do an exam so the study needs to be exam focused - past papers show what they ask so he should study with an eye on those

The teachers on the forum will be Better able to guide you as to exactly what he should be doing and how many hours

Thank you it’s bloody worrying but this forum has helped greatly, thanks

@Corksfinedtboy

don’t take anything you read on here as gospel from any of the fucking “experts”

there are a few teachers here. @caulifloweredneanderthal is one of them or at least studied in a teachers college. He won’t see you wrong

Thanks but I’ll read everything as I haven’t a baldies, all advice taken onboard gratefully

He’ll either study or he won’t. There isn’t much you can do about it.

Everyone will have a few strong subjects. For me I was strong at History, Accounting and English (although a clash in my final year with a sub teacher saw me drop four grades from mocks to LC). I was ok at Ag Science, and hung in there at Irish and French. Made the decision to go pass Maths start of 5th year despite doing well at JC. Best decision I made. Loved numbers but hated anything more scientific. Loads of my friends invested a huge amount of time in honours Maths only to fail the mocks and drop back then. I had two years of having the craic in the pass class with my cousin

What I’m trying to say is a couple of strong subjects and a few middling ones will get him over the line

1 Like

Whatever you do here, don’t listen to the experts. Experts on TFK are roundly derided. Listen to the fellas who know fuck all but speak like they know it all.

This is the way.

Thanks tbh his Irish isn’t fantastic

Just to clarify @Corksfinedtboy @EstebanSexface I’m not a secondary school teacher (or primary for that matter) and never have been but know many who are

That’s bollox. He can be encouraged and cajoled like all things in life - arm around the shoulder and boot up the hole.

Mine was poor. I took some grinds with an auld retired fella from the Gaeltacht living around Caherdavin I think. He was brilliant. If Irish was taught the way he did it, I wouldn’t have hated the subject so much.

I know it is.

I was giving @Corksfinedtboy a sample of the bollocks he’ll receive here.

like this

Lucky boy

another fella to ignore boy

this is one thing I see happening and saw myself doing the leaving. Particularly with PE and I went to a very sporting all boys school. Students see PE and see the craic and how handy it is and if they enjoy the school, it can nearly be like stockholm syndrome. I was mad to get PE too and go back to the school. But not just the points, but the guidance counsellor spoke about the same situation and that there is no guarantee you get a school like the one you are in. You could end up in some shit hole that does fuck all sport and be driving yourself mad doing it.

Not to dissuade him from teaching or anything but the likelihood of getting PE back in your alma mater is not high. I didnt do teaching, but close friends and relatives who did, and the standard arts course is relatively straight forward, but the postgrade stuff can be tough going and the other to factor in with college is your own self motivation. Its not like school where teachers will push you on to study and get work done, in college, you either do it or you dont. The lecturers wont give the same push a secondary teacher will give. This isnt a bad thing, cant be mollycoddled all your life, but as long as he uses his own motivation to get there, then he’ll be fine no matter what route or what subjects he chooses

1 Like